Frequent BSODs, win 7 64 ultimate

chazary

Hi,
I've been having issues with pretty frequent BSODs lately.
I have read the guides at the head of this forum and have repeated
the steps many times over in attempt to fix.

Some of the BSOD Codes I recieve are:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Service_exception_error
Memory_Management

I have no common occurance when these happen, sometimes I'll be doing nothing at all and the BSOD will happen, sometimes I'm gaming. I've gone 2 weeks without a BSOD then I get 6 in a single day.

I've ran multiple memory tests as well as tried different ram all with passing results. I've checked my temps post crash and they are never above 50c.

My specs
Asus M4A78LT-M LE
8g Corsair DDR3 Ram
nVidia GTX 460
750w PSU
Water Cooled, 2 case fans, 1 gpu fan

Nothing is OC'd and hasn't been in the past.
All my bios, chipset, gpu drivers are up to date.

I have recently formatted and reinstalled, updated drivers ect. I get the
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD more than any of the others.

Here are some minidumps from today and recently, I don't have much knowledge on reading them.
Any help at all would be amazing, I'm about at the edge of sanity here.

Attachments

• 110810 minidumps.zip
    88.2 KB · Views: 2
I read the dumps and nothing specific came up as a probable cause. However, looking at your system specs we want you to do the following:

1. Find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

2. Asus boards are quite well known about being picky about what memory can run in in each and every one of their boards. So much so that Asus provides a Qualified Vendors List (QVL) of said acceptible memory on every board's individual website. By no means is this list exshaustive but it would behoove you to check it out.

3. FYI Corsair memory and certain Asus boards were having conflicts earlier in the year, each blaming the other. I am not saying this is your issue but further research might be in order.

4. Run your system with just 6 gigs and then 4 gigs of RAM. Do you gain stability?

Appreciate the reply,

I'll try and check all of the above and get back to you.

I run 4g x 2, so I'll try one at a time and see how that goes.

Ok I completed all steps here.

1. Got my RAM setup the correct Voltage.

2. Reviewed the Asustek QVL and my ram is -not- listed. After reading many many posts related, most users have no issues here. I have run memtests and have had no issues. I understand this can still be part of the issue.

3. Yeah, looked into it thoroughly, not too excited. See #2.

4. Have tried swapping ram sticks and it seems to have no effect.

I couple notes for today.

I work from Home on my PC, for fear of crashes / BSODs, I limited myself to browser and music based apps alone. No crashes at all today.. After I finished up work, I hopped on to play some New Vegas, about 20 minutes in, BSOD. System_Service_Exception. After I boot back up and check temps (all is good), I get another BSOD very quickly that asks me to check my "display adapter".

I've removed my GPU and am in the process of hooking up my vga > integrated graphics.

I have 2 minidumps I'll post as soon as I can.

minidumps.

Again, I appreciate your efforts very much!

Attachments

• 110910minidumps.zip
    41 KB · Views: 1
One error is 0x0000001E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors.

0xA errors are caused by either hardware or faulty drivers attempting to address a higher IRQ Level that they are not designed for causing system crashes. Nothing definitive was cited.

The other error is 0x3B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

Cause
This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.

Pool_Corruption is the only cited probable cause that has to do with the driver pool. In light of what you gave us about "check display driver" do the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; leave the other drivers listed alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Check your connections to your monitor.

Ok I've got the newest nvidia drivers and driver sweeper downloaded.

I'm going to uninstall my current nvidia drivers and do what you suggested.

I did let fifa 2011 run on full graphics using my onboard graphics, while i had a miserable framerate it hasn't BSOD or crashed in well over 30 minutes. Where it crashed twice in less than 30 minutes earlier. So that's promising.

Will update after I perform these steps.

Thanks again,

Ok all finished, up and running.

Is there anything specifcally I should try or check for at this point?

No, except check system temps periodically and the video card fan. I hope this was the issue and its resolved.

Ok after playing a bit of Fallout New Vegas and then Fifa 2011 for about 30 minutes in total, I got another BSOD.

system_service_exception
stop code 0x0000003b

temps were fine, GPU fan was running

minidump attached

Any other suggestions? :/

Attachments

• 110910-21044-01.zip
    27.6 KB · Views: 0
@ Route44

Hey again,
I was doing some more RAM testing and slapped on an extra fan to cover my RAM / DIMM slots.

I figured I'de give a few more tests here, I put 1 stick in the 2nd DIMM slot, 4g Corsair.
I gamed for quite a while without any issues.

I tried that same stick into the first DIMM slot as soon as I started up Winamp and started my game up, crash. I'm trying a few more times.

Do you know if it's possible the DIMM Slot is bad and can cause the BSODs that I have been getting?

Yes, DIMM slots are known to go bad.

Your system can't be that old. I'd be contacting Asus tech support and tell them what happens when your memory is placed in certain slots.

Back