TechSpot

Frequent CTDs/BSODs while gaming

By asaguda
Nov 30, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Right, I've been all over the internet with this one. I'm getting frequent CTDs and/or BSODs while gaming- CTDs being the kind that just shut the game off without any pattern or warning or error dialogue.
    Note: BSOD problem might or might not be fixed, haven't had any since the last solution I tried.

I bought a new gaming rig in August, I think. Most of the hardware is good enough, only thing not being good would probably be the GF8800GT, as it's a budget card today.. But other than that, yes, I can run the newest games at medium-high graphics (Specs in drop-down list in the upper-right). The problem I'm having is that most games crashes to desktop often, or give me bluescreens. Newer games, especially. Bluescreens, as mentioned, might be fixed as I haven't had any in a while, but CTDs. How do I troubleshoot them? And what could be causing them?

Is it just my quadcore being the issue? Left 4 Dead is one of the few games that run longer the less cores I let it run on, but the demo fix of restricting it to one core doesn't stop it from crashing now that it's a full game, for some reason.

EDIT: Turns out that my computer seems to hate antialiasing, and in some cases, turning that off makes the game run indefinately. I hate technology now.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.