Fresh windows install no device drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessiah24

This is my first post ever so here goes I have just got a used gateway mt6840 laptop and every time I tried to start it I would get a black screen that says pre-boot eXecution environment (PXE) v2.1
PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable
PXE- MOF: Exiting PXE rom
operating system not found

so I thought I would start over and re-install the os so I put in the gateway vista home premium 32-bit operating system disc that came with the computer and it starts up and goes to a screen that says load driver select the driver to be installed there is nothing for me to choose at this point so I just hit enter and then it says no device drivers were found make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers then click ok

I even tried using a windows XP pro disk install making sure that the cd rom is first in the boot order and it just goes right to the same black screen as stated above any ideas at all would be great thanks

If the boot sequence is CD; HDD; Floppy;
And it doesn't find any bootable device in any of them (ie corrupt HardDrive; or incorrect settings; or Sata HardDrive not found due to required drivers; or cabling issue)
Then it will try to find the boot loader on the Network
That may help

ok it looks like that's what is going on but do you think I could use this to my advantage maybe and if so do you know how? thanks

No, don't use that. It requires Dos drivers and proper connection of ethernet to a network boot drive. (way too hard!)

You need to confirm that your CMOS sees the HardDrive (firstly)
Then possibly repair Windows using a Windows boot CD
Are the boot CDs now working?

CMOS does not see the HardDrive and when I use the Windows boot CD the screen only says (operating system not found) in top left

Damn, I should have said load CMOS defaults (usually last screen in CMOS)

Anyway, remove the HardDrive and re-insert it (usually one screw only)
Sometimes they lose connection

Actually whilst the HardDrive is out, remove the battery and power as well (actually visa-versa - remove all power first, then harddrive)

Then hold down the ON button for 30 secs (dispersing ll internal voltage)
Then put the HardDrive back
Put the power pack back
Turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back