Fresh XP installed, need help getting the network adapter to work

Hi,
First, let me tell you that I did try to research this problem before posting this.
I have a HP Pavilion Slimline s5603w, this is probably important. It came factory with W7: 64, and did not include any driver discs. I recently purchased Win XP, and installed it to a separate HDD. My plan is to dual-boot win7 and XP on two different HDDs (if you consider that a dual-boot). This seemed to work until I found out I cannot connect to the internet with xp.

I looked on this site for people with similar problems, and I came to the conclusion that I need to install the factory driver for my network adapter. This is because I dont get the network access icon at the bottom, and it wont allow me to set-up a connection; Going into the device manager, there is a network adapter, but I dont think it even works.

So taking the advice I found on this site, I attempted to download the driver for this PC from the HP website. They dont even have a driver that supports XP for this POS.

The network adapter is fine. Im on the same PC right now, just on my Win7 OS HDD. The connection is great, the hardware is great, my modem is fine, and my router is spiffy. It is obviously a problem with XP.

So, assuming my driver is the problem, is it possible i can still connect to the internet if the driver doesnt even support xp? If you think this isnt the problem, or if you have any suggestions for me, please let me know.

If you look under Device Manager when on Win 7 you should be able to get the name of the wireless card. And then do a search for XP drivers for that device. You will also need the chipset drivers for the motherboard for XP, those should be available from the manufacturer's site.

Ok thanks, it's been awhile since I did anything like this. It seems pretty obvious now that you mention it. I went to the NVIDIA website and found everything I needed for XP. I downloaded them and will report back when I finish installing it and testing it to let you know the results.

*EDIT*
Ok, its working. Im on XP right now with internet access. Thanks for the help.

Back