Friday's Misc. news bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Notebook maker WinBook will attempt to turn consumer heads next week when it releases a laptop priced at $799 before a $100 rebate.

NVIDIA... what a shame! And I though we were over with this. Tech-Report has found that if you rename 3dMark03 executable file to something else, NVIDIA benchmarks scores drop considerably, now I'm sure this can't be called an optimization anymore... not so surprising that ATI was the one who pointed out the cheat.

Taiwan’s software piracy rate has dropped by 10 percentage points to 43% in 2002 compared to the year before, according to a study recently released by the US-based Business Software Alliance (BSA).

According to a Bloomberg report, Japanese manufacturer Elpida Memory has revealed that it will be supplying DRAM memory for Sony's next video game console, the PlayStation 3.

Just throwing this out there for consideration....

....but with all of the ATI says this and NVIDIA says that... I think 3dMark as a benchmarking tool should be called more into question than either manufacturer for releasing different drivers catered to the benchmarking tool.

I know most everyone on here when evaluating hardware doesn't just go by 3dMark, but uses other applicaitons/games (ie. Quake, UT2003, etc.) to review the hardware by. Just seems that the media keeps making it a shooting match between ATI and NVIDIA when to me it just makes me trust the results from 3dMark much less no matter who the vendor is releasing hardware and drivers.

So by the sounds of it, if you intend to benchmark Graphics card performance using any decently known application, rename the executable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back