Fried mobo - can I move my hard drive to another machine?

By sas1
Mar 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all.

I'm pretty sure I fried my motherboard or processor. I'm probably going to leave it to someone else to fix it, but I was just wondering if it possible/advisable to take the hard drive from that machine and put it into another machine (both running XP), hook it up as a slave and back up everything?

Ordinarily I wouldn't bother, but there's a lot of information on that hard drive that is needed tomorrow, and I'm not sure I can get someone to fix the motherboard/processor in time.

If it is possible, are there any pitfalls or dangers that I should know about?

EDIT: Both copies of XP have different serials btw - 1 is XP Home Edition and the other is XP Media Centre
  2. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,572   +9

Hmm... from what I know, there shouldn't be any problems hooking it up as a slave drive and getting the information you want off it.

However, if you're gonna boot from it, might be a different story. WinXP might decide to give you trouble since you're on a different system.
  3. sas1

sas1 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

No, I definitely don't want to boot from it, I just want to get a backup of everything on the drive. Today has been an absolute disaster and I just wanted to make sure it was ok in case I went and lost all the data as well frying a perfectly good computer. Thanks for your help.
  4. CMH

Always backup. You never know when your HDDs will crash on you.
  5. sas1

sas1 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Luckily enough I backed up most of the important stuff on Friday, I just didn't get everything. Thanks again.
  6. CMH

no problem. Lucky for you with that backup, I'd really hate to lose everything I have....

Which is why I'll be using a RAID5 array as soon as I can afford it. You should consider that as well, if your data is that important to you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.