From dataLink layer when you pass 30 frames is it possible to receive 31 packets in networkLayer?

From dataLink layer when you pass 30 frames does it possible to receive 31 packets in networkLayer?

Sorry, small correction
When source(WAN) dataLink layer passes 30 frames does it possible to receive 31 packets in Target(LAN)networkLayer?

Hmm; depends upon how many active connections exist.

The source (ie one connection) can be sending X while the target can be receiving X+ due to other sources. (this might be viewed as a many-to-one relationship).

Another thought:

Broadcast: udp traffic sent to x.y.z.255 for any active system on x.y.z.*

Multicast: IPv6 version of Broadcast, but more selective list of recipients

Late arriving DHCP and/or DNS replies (also udp traffic).

Hmm; depends upon HOW & WHERE you are getting your traffic counts.

If you're measuring on the hardware adaptor, then you are getting ALL traffic and the previous comments are true.

On the otherhand, if you have a means to measure the traffic on a per-socket (eg http (port 80) vs smtp&pop(ports 25& 110) as well as your VPN, then it becomes a question of measuring BOTH ends accurately
(meaning the source count excludes everything except VPN and likewise on the target).

Counting packets or frames per your specifications is a study in the protocol being examined.

Question: Why do you care?

AH. The premiss is interesting, but the methodology of measurement must be consistent with the level of detail being sought.

Some how I get the feeling that underlying this question is concern for security - - eg: If I can't count the packets sent and get an equal count for packets received, is there a security concern?

VPN is a tcp socket connection, so the measurements must be at the socket level. I would think you need tools to investigate network protocols, like a packet sniffer.

Jobeard: Counting packets or frames per your specifications is a study in the protocol being examined.

Rajesh: In the above statement "packets or frames", does it mean both are same or other meaning, please specify

* A Packet is a sequence of bytes up to the MTU in length.

* A Frame is an adjustable size buffer containing those packets.

By you asking this question, you disclose that your background in TCP is limited and so the original premise may be very difficult for you to resolve. You will have a lot of homework to do :)

Broadcast and multicast I agree.

As I mentioned source is the WAN means it has its own protocol along with the data link layer and multiple hosts, while it is transmitting with the Target it may use TCP, as it does not have Data link layer.

hmm;
with the Target it may use TCP, as it does not have Data link layer
The OSI implementation of TCP has seven layers and EVERY tcp stack has a Data Link Layer -- see this
Osi-model.png

which makes me feel we are talking about different things altogether - - -

TCP/IP reference model is one, which does not contain data link layer

While open systems are interconnected with the data link layer and multiple hosts and act as a source (WAN)

The target(LAN) with no data link layer and is able to receive/send messages to the source

When these are exchanging source(WAN) data link layer 30 frames are transmitted does it possible to receive 31 packets(no data link layer) at the target(LAN)?

Back