Front Panel Connections to Motherboard

By Quate8
Oct 29, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have installed a new motherboard into my computer and have everything connected with the exception of the HDD LED, Power SW and Reset SW. For the life of me I cannot figure out where they go. The instructions are useful to the point. It shows that the 9 pins (4 on top, 5 on the bottom) but doesn't provide any instruction on which cord attaches to where. All the above connections (HDD LED, Power SW, Reset SW) consist of 2 pins. There are different colors on the pins (2 red, 2 orange, 2 green, 2 blue, 1 yellow) and only the orange/red have the positive/negative marked on them. So how do I know what connections go where?

If it matters the Power SW is Black/White, the Reset SW is Green/White and the HDD LED is Red/White.

The motherboard is a: Foxconn M61PMV AM2+ Ready

I am fairly novice with this type of stuff so would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks In Advance,
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,390   +205

Have you checked the top of page 14 of the motherboard manual? It has a clear illustration of the front panel header pins and which is which. The white wires would be the negative side.
  3. Quate8

Quate8 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thank you so much. I didn't even know it came with anything more then the Quick Installation Guide. Don't I feel like an *****. It was still hiding in the box. After reading it that should be everything I need to get the last parts hooked up. Thanks again, you rock! =)
  4. mailpup

Just to touch this base, if you are reusing your old heatsink and fan, be sure to put a fresh dab of thermal compound between it and the processor.
  5. Quate8

Quate8 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Appreciate the info . . . I actually ended up having to buy a new processor/heatsink and it came with the compound already applied and good to go. I had bought some just in case but it turned out I didn't need it after all. =)
  6. mailpup

Okay, good. Glad you seem to have everything working.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.