Frustrating issue with booting computer

Synario

For several days or even weeks now, I've had an issue where when I try to start the computer, it will take take me a black screen where it says somebody not being able to start the computer to a variety of reasons. Usually it's something like "Not able to start 1 driver ATA something something" or "floppy discette failure, etc, etc".

This has been happening for a time now and its extremely frustrating especially when I have work to do. Usually I have to turn the computer off and on several times, and usually I have to turn it off after having attempted this several times, wait about an hour or two, and then try again. After several several tries (several hours) it will usually work, but only after must agrivating effort.

I'm extremely concerned something may be seriously wrong and I want to know what to do. Preferably I don't want to have to go get my computer 'checked out' for various perosnal reasons and would prefer a home remedy, or at least get a rough idea of what's wrong.

On top of this, and prior to this issue, my computer start lagging occasionally and would even freeze sometimes. It was so bad that even clicking the off button on the tower did nothing. I was forced several several times to actually pull the main plug out of the wall forcing the computer off. I've heard this damages the computer, perhaps this is the cause behind everything? As well I bought Medieval II a while ago and when I've tried to load it up a few times it's come up with an message saying I didn't have the CD in the drive even though I did.

This has all started ever since this computer was repaired over a month ago. Maybe that's all the cause??

Stats:

Microsoft WIndows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:

Intell (R)
Pentium(4) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 1.5 GB of Ram (70 something gigs of hard drive space)

Thanks

EDIT: Also, if this helps at all, whenever I turn my computer back on again and finally get it to work, it'll say something like "Hard drive installed" ,etc, etc "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use".

You are looking at probable imminent harddrive failure as well as floppy drive failure. How old is this system including the harddrive?

Do the following:

1. Next time you are able to access your system immediately back up everything that is important.

2. Find the make of your harddrive and report back to us this information.

3. Check your cable connections to both the motherboard and floppy drive and motherboard and harddrive. Uninstall cables and then reinstall. Sometimes cables become loose. Do this only when the system is powered down. I suggest unplugging it from its power source as well.

Back