Frustrating random BSOD's-problems, Minidumps included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

I've never really bothered trying to find the real cause behind all the BSOD's I've had through the years, but at this point and this current install of Windows XP I've spent so much money at replacing pieces of hardware that I think it's worth a try to let you guys have a look at these dumps and suggest wether I need to replace any hardware or if a simple OS-reinstall might do the trick (if it's software-related).

Most of these crashes happen outside games while surfing or when the comp is more or less idle. The most recent one was a "BAD_POOL_CALLER - 0x000000c2" after I tried to restore some Firefox windows. I also recall a few "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT - 0x00000024(?)".

I got 2 theories so far. First is that I'm running Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) with 4gb ram (2x2gb) and since it only can use about 3gb the last 1gb in one of the sticks stays unused and causes adress-problems since it can't be accessed by the OS.

Secondly, my "WD Raptor 74gb, 10,000rpm"-hdd is like 4 years old and makes it one of the oldest parts in my comp. Knowing that what you win in having a faster spinning hdd you lose in durability makes me think that it's time to replace it aswell.

But I'll let my Minidumps explain the rest. Hope you find any useful info because I'm really pissed at this damn computer by now :suspiciou

Thanks in advance! :D

"I'm running Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) with 4gb ram (2x2gb) and since it only can use about 3gb the last 1gb in one of the sticks stays unused and causes adress-problems since it can't be accessed by the OS"...

What happens when you just install one 2GB memory module? Have you messed with memory voltages or timings in the bios?

"I'm running Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) with 4gb ram (2x2gb) and since it only can use about 3gb the last 1gb in one of the sticks stays unused and causes adress-problems since it can't be accessed by the OS"...

What happens when you just install one 2GB memory module? Have you messed with memory voltages or timings in the bios?

Nah, I've read some about tweaking but never had the guts to try it, luckily :) I know that's a common issue, tho. Btw, if this 4yo 10k rpm hdd of mine really is failing, could that kind of datafragment-corruption cause memorylike BSOD's like "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"? I mean, if a failfree memory tries to interract with an old corrupted hdd, it could very likely fail, because of the hdd, right?

I'll start memtesting tonight...

Go to My Computer and right-click on the C drive. Select Tools, check for errors, and schedule a disk check correcting errors on a restart. Let it finish, noting any problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back