TechSpot

FSB vs BUS Easy question

By dvduh
May 28, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK using CPU-Z i know i am running 100 mhz FSB and 200 mhz bus. What the difference between bus and FSB?

System:
    MSI KT4VL
    AMD 2100 XP thourobred B0
    DDR PC2100 RAM
    RADEON 98000

i am trying to get my processor to run its stock speed. It is only running 1250 mhz which is way to low.

thankyou
  2. dvduh

dvduh TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok i get that FS is the speed which corrolates with my ram. I am running PC2100 ram in dual channel mode so they down clock to 133mhz. INstead of there rated 266mhz because thats all the bandwidth they need. correct? The thing i cant understand isn why my cpu is clocked down to 100 mhz when it should be running 266mhz FSB i believe. I am taking my fan off ATM to check my OPN
  3. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

your fsb has a clock speed of 100. your chipset/cpu interface sends data twice each clock cycle, giving the performance of a 200 MHz bus.

your DDR (Double Data Rate) memory, like your cpu fsb, performs operations twice each clock cycle. consequently, ram running at 133 mhz yields actual performance of a 266 mhz bus.

hope this helped
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.