TechSpot

FTC doles out $50,000 to winners of Robocall Challenge

By Shawn Knight
Apr 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The Federal Trade Commission recently wrapped up a contest designed to find an effective solution to combat robocalls – spammy automated phone calls that deliver a pre-recorded message to unlucky recipients. The annoying messages account for roughly 200,000 complaints each...

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,985   +732

The only way to combat Robocall is to call on Robocop.
  3. SCJake

SCJake Newcomer, in training Posts: 80

So... considering that Google-group's solution is crowdsourced... does that mean we could possible end the red cross calls if we did it right? granted theyre not a robocall per se, but its still a machine picking a random number to call. Ive gotten to the point where I have their number saved in my phone and when they call me (!!EVERY!! day between 12pm-1:15pm) I just answer the phone F*** OFF! then hang up
  4. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 213   +26

I don't get pestered by the Red Cross, so this is not out of personal experience with them, however, have you tried asking them to put you on their do not call list? Most reputable charities will put you on their do not call list if you ask them to, and you will never hear from them again. I also suggest asking them politely to do so.

Also, with this, I hope it filters out political robo calls especially those that automatically make you part of a town meeting.
  5. SCJake

SCJake Newcomer, in training Posts: 80

Dude ive been on with the manager and ive been on with his manager. Because my cell phone is listed under a business plan they refuse to remove it or decrease the call volume. The moment they told me that was the moment I stopped being polite

P.S. my phone is not listed as the business number, just paid for by the business
  6. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

Get it on the market ... get it going... get er done ... ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.