TechSpot

FTC preparing broad antitrust probe against Google

By Matthew
Jun 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The US Federal Trade Commission is reportedly preparing to launch a sweeping antitrust investigation against Google, according to the Wall Street Journal. Citing people familiar with the matter, the WSJ…

Read the whole story

2. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Booster Posts: 371   +29

gah get over it... Google is not the INTERNET yet..... if you go to Microsoft you aint gonna see any Mac products and vicia versa. I would expect Yahoo to have their email above Googles...

3. matrix86

matrix86 TS Maniac Posts: 804   +9

Oooook. When I look up "free online photo gallery" my first result is MyPhotoAlbum.com, and when I look up "free online maps" Google Maps doesn't even come up as a result, and "free online document storage" puts Google Docs at 3rd. (*note, this does not include the "ads" section above the search results...I never pay attention to that section, lol).

4. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

who honestly thinks anything will come out of this "probing" of Google

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Google:
    e-mail: Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo
    maps: Google, Yahoo, Mapquest
    books: B&N, Google, Amazon
    photos: flicker, photos.com, picasa
    travel: orbitz, expedia, kayak (never heard of it)
    plane tickets: cheaptickets, delta, expedia
    hotel: priceline, hotels.com, travelocity

Yahoo:
    e-mail: Yahoo, Wikipedia entry for e-mail, hotmail
    maps: Yahoo, Google, maps.com
    books: B&N, google, wikipedia entry for books,
    photos: flickr, photobucket, yahoo
    travel: yahoo, travelocity, expedia
    plane tickets: cheapoair, planetickets, orbitz
    hotel: hotels.com, wikipedia entry for hotels, choicehotels.com

Bing:
    e-mail: yahoo, wikipedia, hotmail
    maps: yahoo, google, maps.com
    books: B&N, google, wikipedia
    photos: flickr, photbucket, yahoo
    travel: yahoo, expedia, travelocity
    plane tickets: cheapoair, planetickets, orbitz
    hotel: hotels.com, wikipedia entry for hotels, choicehotels.com

(Halfway through doing the Bing searches I remember that Bing powers Yahoo)

My opinion: meh.

6. Chazz

Chazz TS Maniac Posts: 640   +60

Well at the same time, do you think it's fair that microsoft includes their competitor's software inside their software? ie. browsers.

7. when you climb to the top of the mountain you have to endure the wind and the cold. But you can also afford the best lawyers in the universe, so I think google will be ok. lol

8. albertjkruger

albertjkruger TS Member Posts: 18

I have to say I think it ridiculous that a company like Google can't place their own products high up on search results. They own the search engine, don't they? As far as I know there is no contract (or anything of that sort) that prohibits them of doing that. Even if they were to decide to allow websites to pay them large amounts of money in exchange for a high ranking on search results, I would see it as within their rights. Yes, that would be a form of deception, but it's their search engine is it not?? Nobody's forced to use it...

Honestly, this is just ridiculous.

9. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Booster Posts: 371   +29

Guess I should have been more specfic, I was talking about Microsoft's website and etc.

10. rculver9056

rculver9056 TS Rookie Posts: 29   +7

"Free email" - Google third, "email" - Google second

Does this FTC actually get anything out of suing companies left, right and centre...Just a thought...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.