Fujitsu launches Lifebook T901 convertible tablet PC

Matthew DeCarlo

Unveiled earlier this month, Fujitsu's Lifebook T901 is now officially available to US customers through the company's website. The 13.3-inch convertible tablet PC starts at $1,899 and offers a bevy of configuration options. The base model is equipped with a 1280x768 display that supports pen input, a 2.4GHz Intel Core i5-2520M, 2GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM, a 250GB 5400RPM HDD, a DVD burner, a six-cell 63Wh battery, and your choice of Windows 7 Professional 32 or 64-bit.

For an extra $100, you can drop the active digitizer display for a dual digitizer model that supports both pen and multi-touch finger input, and an optional anti-reflective coating is available for outdoor viewing. Meanwhile, your typical performance and storage-related upgrades include a 2.6GHz Core i5 or 2.7GHz Core i7 processor, up to 8GB of RAM, up to 500GB of disk or 256GB of flash storage, and a Blu-ray writer. A 1GB Nvidia NVS 4200M GPU will be available in June.

Being a convertible and all, the T901 is shipped with an integrated accelerometer for display orientation, but this is disabled by default. Also, depending on the screen you choose, the system may come equipped with a 2MP webcam. Along with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, connectivity options include Intel's Wireless Display technology, AT&T or Verizon mobile broadband, VGA and HDMI outputs, one USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports, FireWire, Gigabit Ethernet, and various flash card slots.

In addition to having a 67Wh battery upgrade, Fujitsu offers a secondary 41Wh battery that can be swapped with the optical drive by pulling an eject lever. It's unclear if a secondary storage drive can occupy this modular bay. Noteworthy security features include a fingerprint sensor with support for pre-boot authentication, bi-level BIOS and HDD password protection, Intel's Anti-Theft and vPro technology, as well as three optional storage drives with built-in data encryption.

Permalink to story.

Almost looks like Fujitsu is thinking that it is 2004 -- why is Fujitsu even bringing this model to market when HP has tm2t convertible laptop for $899 that supports multi-touch and pen inputs, 500 GB 7200 rpm drive, finger print reader, webcam, 4 GB RAM, core i5, and 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5450 video card and two year warranty. Almost $1000 LESS than the Fujitsu with MUCH better specs.

There are really out of the competition, soon.... you will not see them next few year. good luck to them.

The differences between the HP and this unit are numerous. Starting with the digitizer (WACOM here, NTRIG in the HP with WACOM being the better) and goes all the way to stuff like the multi-bay that accepts a second battery. Comparing the HP tm2 (Basically a East german Trabant) to the T901 (basically a BMW 750i) is moot, they are quite different in capabilities and target market.

There is more to a tablet/convertible than CPU and HD speeds. A LOT more

Back