Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 slate coming in April 2011

Emil

Fujitsu has announced the Stylistic Q550, a business-class slate PC designed for the high-security requirements of mobile enterprise computing, will arrive in early April 2011. The slate has security built from the ground up in order to it meet the most stringent ICT security requirements of governments and businesses.

As enterprises struggle to keep consumer smartphones and tablets off their corporate networks to avoid security breaches, Fujitsu is pushing the Windows 7 device into this niche market. Connectivity includes WLAN, Bluetooth, and optional mobile broadband 3G/UMTS. It is powered by the upcoming Intel Atom processor, codenamed Oak Trail.

The slate will reportedly feature a full work day battery runtime and a brilliant anti-glare 10.1-inch screen that allows for use both indoors and outdoors. The screen combines a multiple touch interface with precise and pressure-sensitive pen input. The device even automatically recognizes when users are working with a pen, allowing them to rest their hand on the screen when writing. Built-in handwriting recognition software converts input to text. When the pen is not in use, the slate PC automatically readjusts to a touch interface.

"Microsoft welcomes the release of the Stylistic Q550," Steven Guggenheimer, Corporate Vice President of the OEM Division at Microsoft, said in a statement. "Windows 7 is a great choice for commercial customers looking for a devices that enables the flexibility and mobility their businesses need to succeed. With Windows 7, you get enterprise manageability, security, as well as the ability to run the applications used within organizations."

Permalink to story.

A business tablet better surpass the stupid 720p screens that everyone is using. I want my 1920x1080 tablet!

Princeton said:
A business tablet better surpass the stupid 720p screens that everyone is using. I want my 1920x1080 tablet!

Right because the mahoosive screen sizes of tablets require a 2 million pixel density.

sarcasm said:
Princeton said:

Right because the mahoosive screen sizes of tablets require a 2 million pixel density.

It's less then double the iphone 4's res and that's on a puny 3.5" screen. I'd love to do mid level picture and video work on the go but it would be a hell of a lot better on a 1920x1080 SAMOLED instead of a 1280x720 LCD.

Looking forward to this... and I agree a 1920x1080 would be awesome. This niche market for Windows 7 tablets is mostly advanced users like ourselves, who would absolutely use 1080 resolution. But damn the display will have to be very high quality and likely expensive. That is a lot of pixels to put on a 10" screen.

Princeton said:
sarcasm said:
Princeton said:

It's less then double the iphone 4's res and that's on a puny 3.5" screen. I'd love to do mid level picture and video work on the go but it would be a hell of a lot better on a 1920x1080 SAMOLED instead of a 1280x720 LCD.

Nah I agree I could see the usage of a higher resolution screen. I think they are doing 720p screens mostly because of the iPad's influence. That or it could just be a cost cutting measure. OR, they could be doing it on purpose so they can release 1080p tablets in the future and make it seem like it's something new and charge more.

sarcasm said:
Princeton said:
sarcasm said:
Princeton said:

Nah I agree I could see the usage of a higher resolution screen. I think they are doing 720p screens mostly because of the iPad's influence. That or it could just be a cost cutting measure. OR, they could be doing it on purpose so they can release 1080p tablets in the future and make it seem like it's something new and charge more.

Well it's fine for consumer tablets. But I really want a company to release a high end quad core 1080p tablet for intensive video and art work. It doesn't have to be something that everyone is going to need, but every market has that high end over the top spec device.

Princeton said:
sarcasm said:
Princeton said:
sarcasm said:
Princeton said:

Well it's fine for consumer tablets. But I really want a company to release a high end quad core 1080p tablet for intensive video and art work. It doesn't have to be something that everyone is going to need, but every market has that high end over the top spec device.

What kind of battery hog would a quad-core machine with a 1080p screen be? And on top of that, wouldn't video editing suck it dry even more quickly, to the point of uselessness? I know the tablets generally claim 8-10 hours of watching hd video, but wouldn't that be drastically reduced? No idea, just wondering here...

Raswan said:
Princeton said:
sarcasm said:
Princeton said:
sarcasm said:
Princeton said:

What kind of battery hog would a quad-core machine with a 1080p screen be? And on top of that, wouldn't video editing suck it dry even more quickly, to the point of uselessness? I know the tablets generally claim 8-10 hours of watching hd video, but wouldn't that be drastically reduced? No idea, just wondering here...

I'm almost constantly near a power source. Also in theory a windows tablet could allow for the resolution to be changed. So if people prefer battery life over resolution they can have it that way......WAIT A SECOND! Why aren't manufacturers doing this now!

As for a quad core, Tegra 2 has the same TDP and around the same power usage as a qualcomm crapdragon cpu. So even if the quad core tegra uses twice that power it still won't be using a whole ton of juice to run.

Back