TechSpot

Fujitsu unveils Blu-ray and Core 2 Duo packing mini PC

By Jos
Sep 7, 2009
  1. Small form factor computers have been growing in popularity recently with the introduction of Atom-based nettops. These low cost systems have proven very compelling options for consumers with budget and space constraints, but for the most part are limited to basic computing tasks such as web browsing, document processing and some audio / video playback.

Read the whole story

2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,330   +277

Looks great - even had my interest until I saw the pricetag. They need to adjust that to compete with the MacMini. No way a stripped down version should be $1,000.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,811   +920

Space Constraints...We Don't Got No Steenk-ing Space Constraints...

I gave my son a box built in an Antec ATX Mid Tower case.

That way, if he ever decides to get his POS Mac Mini fixed......he can use the Antec for a stand.

Oh, and adding to what LNCPapa mentioned, is $1000.00 for a half of a PC a "constrained budget purchase"?

All this, (and this, "Fujitsu unveils Celsius Ultra gaming rig" @ http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133212.html ), makes me suspicious that Fujitsu , as a corporation, is suffering from "paranoid delusions of grandeur".

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 903   +52

That really looks amazing, too bad about the price.

5. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

Suddenly a Mac Mini seems in the right price range...

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,330   +277

Even though it really isn't. I just got one for the office 2 weeks ago - total after taxes, applecare, and RAM was $899. Kind of hurt a bit to spend that much (didn't even upgrade the processor) on it and ruins the idea of a $500 HTPC.

7. At least things are going in the right direction with regard to form factor etc but I couldn't agree more that the price is out of line.

I want my HTPC to be as lightweight as possible in that I have all of my content on another "beefy" computer and rip music/do video processing on that machine as well. Currently using an Xbox as a media extender but no easy way to stream Hulu and no Pandora and switching between media center and xbox has too many steps for some family members.

What I'm looking for is an HTPC with HDMI so I can hook it to my receiver either in a pre-built package or if I can find specs will build myself. Here what I think makes sense:

- small form factor - similar to what we see here
    - blu-ray
    - windows 7 (will use media center to get content from beefy machine)
    - quiet (maybe with no fan?)
    - minimal RAM, Disk, processor speed - just enough to use media center and play blu-ray disks
    - media center remote control and remote KB/Mouse
    - use on-board graphics (?) to use less power, heat, cost
    - ethernet, HDMI and a couple of USB ports

Does anyone know of such a package - plans or pre-built?

Thanks in advance.

8. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

nice,apart from the graphics that is(intel)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.