2x 512 MB ram
some sort of ASRock mobo

to:
Code:
Same gfx card
AMD Athlon 3200+
1x 1 gig ram
new ASRock Dual Series "939Dual-SATA2" mobo

Windows would not boot under old install, so I installed it to a new location on the HD. However, all is not well. When I try to run a game (namely Oblivion, ZSNES, AoE3, Galactic Civ 2) in fullscreen mode, nothing displays onscreen. Sound will play, and if I hit escape it will move to main title music, but the screen just stays black. If I manage to get the game into windowed mode (either through the pre-game config screen, or in some cases alt+enter), the game will run, and some games even look like fullscreen if I set the resolution to the same as the desktop.

I have tried: updating drivers (including CPU, graphic, directx, sound, and AGP), every possible permutation of settings in games, patching games when applicable.

I have considered: maybe installing Windows XP 64 bit (I can get it relatively easily), or maybe installing on new partition.

Any suggestions?

Oh one other anomaly: when I try and play HL2 (or any of the mods), the game will run fullscreen, but if I go into options and turn on either AA or Vsync, the screen will go black as above. But if I force quit the game and go back into it, it works fine and it says the options are still on.

Thanks in advance!

since you've just upgraded the mobo and changed ram check if they all compatible and ram is working ok?

Yeah, I specifically checked to make sure they were compatible before I bought them. The RAM works just fine, and RAM heavy programs seems to run at generally the same speed as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back