TechSpot

Funny hard drive noises

By bluescreenNoob
Jun 9, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I probably know the answer to this but I'm just looking for some hope here. I started my computer today and when windows was booting my hard drive made a noise similar to that of trying to start a car that's already running. I take this as a sign my hd is ready to crash. It's a WD 80gb se, my second one. I've only had this one for about six months. The last one wouldn't work after I changed cases. I could of possibly damaged it even though I was extremly careful with everything. But it was acting kinda funny before hand. Well anyway my question is it for sure a sign my hd is going to crap or can I hope there's nothing wrong? If it does crash I think I'll stop buying wd since it would be the second time in a year one of their hds crashed on me. :mad:
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

This could be a sign of a HD nearing death but it may as well be just a bad sector or a driver/controller glitch.

Run a thorough (non destructive) test on your HD using the diagnostic software from WD and back up your critical data just in case.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.