FX4100 OC trouble

childofthetao

Hi, my brother just bought an FX4100, it runs at idle 38C and at full load it runs 58C is that normal with the stock cooler?

He has tried using ASRock OC tuner to overclock but if he does even just a little the computer becomes unstable.

He is using Windows 7 x64 and an ASRock N68C-GS FX motherboard, with a 650W PSU.

Is it even possible to OC with the stock cooler?

Could the instability be caused because I replaced the mobo, cpu, and ram without reinstalling windows?

Could it be because the cpu pins were slightly bent and I had to unbend them?

Thanks

The stock cooler should be good enough for a small amount of overclocking. But, not for anything slightly serious.

The instability probably wasn't caused by the slightly bent pins. But, you're lucky it still works at all if the pins were indeed bent.

The motherboard might not be that great for overclocking. If it turns on, the pins should not be the issue. <60C is a cool temperature under load, despite using the stock cooler.

Hi, my brother just bought an FX4100, it runs at idle 38C and at full load it runs 58C is that normal with the stock cooler?

He has tried using ASRock OC tuner to overclock but if he does even just a little the computer becomes unstable.

He is using Windows 7 x64 and an ASRock N68C-GS FX motherboard, with a 650W PSU.

Is it even possible to OC with the stock cooler?

Could the instability be caused because I replaced the mobo, cpu, and ram without reinstalling windows?

Could it be because the cpu pins were slightly bent and I had to unbend them?

Thanks
I wouldn't OC with a stock cooler, your temps will quickly go off the chart. Also, never use the automatic OC utility, not even the one in BIOS, it will set volts too high and run very hot. As for changing all those parts without doing a clean install, it's not recommended. Windows 8 will recognize hardware changes (by running WEI), but I don't think it works in Windows 7 (not sure about this, anybody else know?). Either way, It's my understanding that you should always do a clean install after a motherboard or CPU change (RAM changes don't matter). The straightened pins have no bearing on the matter.

I wouldn't OC with a stock cooler, your temps will quickly go off the chart. Also, never use the automatic OC utility, not even the one in BIOS, it will set volts too high and run very hot. As for changing all those parts without doing a clean install, it's not recommended. Windows 8 will recognize hardware changes (by running WEI), but I don't think it works in Windows 7 (not sure about this, anybody else know?). Either way, It's my understanding that you should always do a clean install after a motherboard or CPU change (RAM changes don't matter). The straightened pins have no bearing on the matter.
I think Win 7 detects it and installs the default VGA driver (not nVidia or AMD).

I am pretty sure the temperature threshold for the FX4100 is 61 degrees.

If your hitting 58 degrees with a stock cooler, I would not even try to overclock.

Anything under 55 under full load is reasonable.

Back