G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Last November G.Skill announced the Falcon II series featuring an updated Indilinx ECO controller, which as you may have guessed provides support for 34nm NAND flash memory as well as the latest firmware from Indilinx (v1819) with improved support for the Windows 7 TRIM command.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/231-gskill-falcon2-128gb/

Please leave your feedback here.

If you were disappointed by the first batch of benchmarks and quickly jumped to this conclusion, go back and check the rest of the tests as we eventually found where G.Skill Falcon II's strength resided.

Haha that's exactly what I did :)

Getting very close to pulling the trigger on an SSD :) This definitely looks like an option as i really want one that has at least 120 GB

I must say its a pretty good review.

I am looking forward to more SSD reviews, will be jumping into the fray on my next build, which shouldn't be too long now.

Although I must add that given the amount of research dollars put into this recently, I would say it would still be a little early to be buying an SSD: you'd still be considered a pretty early adopter. Speeds and capacities should still be increasing at an exponential rate much faster than HDDs for quite awhile more.

That said, given that performance has already overtaken HDDs on newer units, and capacities have reached "useable" levels, therefore even an early adopter should still be pretty happy with a purchase today.

Just wanna say that after adding this SSD to my recent i5 / Maximus III Formula build I am extremely happy with the performance increase...time will tell if reliablility will be an issue but so far so good...I still get a little lump in my pants every time I boot the system up..takes longer to get through the MoBo bios than it does to boot Windows 7 with a pile of junk installed...big thumbs up to G.Skill for making a practically sized SSD at an affordable price!

It is a good review and I had a good read of reviews before purchasing this one last week.

I was looking at the latest OCZ Vertex 2 but I have had a bad run with their memory modules which I install in clients computers. I also thought the extra expense and reduced capacity made them not a good deal.

I run Windows 7 64 bit and the SSD runs a treat. I have to say although it is noticeably, well much faster booting, like less than half the time, it is one of those things that you quickly forget about and just use it.

I changed the location of my document, pictures and video onto a second 1TB hard drive so as not to run out of room.

After installing most of my apps I still have 90GB left.

My overall impression is that these are good drives and it does improve the load times of whatever happens to be loading, provided it resides on the SSD, but it really doesn't transform the user experience as such. I mean it doesn't really improve productivity or anything. Mind you I am coming from a 1TB WD Caviar Black drive which has excellent performance for a mechanical hard drive.

Getting very close to pulling the trigger on an SSD :) This definitely looks like an option as i really want one that has at least 120 GB

I have a OCZ 256GB SSD in my imac, and it rocks! It was already fast, but with the SSD everything is near on instant, not to mention file transfer times being much improved over a standard sata drive.

They're awesome. :D

Back