Gabe Newell and J.J. Abrams to collaborate on Half-Life or Portal film

By Shawn Knight
Feb 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Valve CEO Gabe Newell and director / producer J.J. Abrams recently found themselves sitting aside one another during the keynote at the 2013 DICE Summit. What started out as a casual chat about storytelling in video games and friendly critique...

Read more
  2. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 582   +45

So. Freaking. Excited.
    9Nails likes this.
  3. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 626   +122

Or, Valve could stop farting about with what will inevitably be a bad movie knock-off and focus on making a new Half-Life or Portal game.
    St1ckM4n, Duckula22 and Burty117 like this.
  4. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 960   +145

So the the soon-to-be-movie collaboration has no steam yet? :)
    prismatics and TypeR181 like this.
  5. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

I kind of hope they don't make a Half-Life movie. I want Freeman to remain a silent hero...
    spydercanopus and Burty117 like this.
  6. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 852   +73

I'll only be okay with this if Morgan freeman plays Gordon freeman.
  7. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 573   +31

Gordon Freeman ;p

Portal would work really well with JJ's lens flare signature :)
  8. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 852   +73

posting from my phone, its fixed
  9. Duckula22

Duckula22 Newcomer, in training Posts: 55

Man, I'm so afraid their going to **** it up. It's Hollywood, ****ing up good ideas is what they do. Doom, Hitman, Max Payne, all awesome games, terrible movies.
  10. TypeR181

TypeR181 Newcomer, in training

Great Idea I think some of the fan portal mini films have been excellent so JJ can do this way better!! Kudos
  11. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 486   +75

Don't forget about Far Cry and Final Fantasy
    ghasmanjr and TypeR181 like this.

12. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

When the Doom movie came out I was disappointed the whole thing wasn't first person perspective, like the FPS game with -you- as the silent protagonist. Maybe they'll be the first to do something like this.
  13. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TechSpot Booster Posts: 363   +86

I'd be happy with a Half Life movie pending Gordon never talks.
    I honestly don't think Portal would be a great movie. The game had absolutely no story other than "Do these puzzles and you get cake." Movies based upon games that had no story always end up terrible (Doom, Mario, Mortal Combat, Street Fighter, I could easily go on).
  14. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TechSpot Booster Posts: 302   +43

Here's why I am not worried, it was only a few months ago were I think Gabe or someone else from valve said gaming movies never turn out well and Valve had no desire to see any of there games up on the big screen. But if you look at all the other gaming movies to date they all did the same thing, the publisher sold the rights of the game to be used in the movie and then went on there merry business. If Gabe and Valve are more involved, the movie will turn out great. A game developer is actually a good candidate for making a movie since games and movies share a lot in common with how they entertain the viewer/gamer. I think if the two seriously collaborated on the movie it would turn out well. But its the same scenario to me as a book movie. Movies are 2 hours long, sometimes 3, game stories can be played for hours and hours on end, as can a book, its hard to condense a entire story down into 2-3 hours and keep all the action and dialogue from the original source.
  15. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 368   +39

I think you guys are overlooking two major differentiating factors when making your judgments: J.J. Abrams and Gabe Newell

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.