Galaxy intros world's first single-slot GTX260+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Galaxy has unveiled the world's first single-slot GeForce GTX260+ video card, the Galaxy GeForce GTX 260+ Razor Edition. The card measures only 14mm thick and is equipped with cooler that utilizes "Vapor Chamber" technology, which uses a special coolant-filled copper base that rests on the GPU and quickly spreads the heat into large surface area for dissipation. The card's aluminum encasing also helps in heat dispersion.

Galaxy has tweaked the enclosed card to reduce power consumption (and thus heat). It is based on a 55nm process with 216 stream processors, 896MB of GDDR3 memory across a 448-bit memory interface, has a core clock frequency of 576MHz, 999MHz memory, 1242MHz shader, supports DirectX 10 and 3-way SLI, and pulls power from two 6-pin PCI-E connectors.

I haven't been able to find any information about a price or availability. I've attempted to contact Galaxy and will update the post if I hear back. In the meantime, you stumble across this information feel free to clue us in via the comments.

Permalink to story.

And the warranty will be what?
Video Graphics cards are now the most troublesome part of a computer, and they fail way too soon.
Price wouldn't be that big a deal if the reliability was better and the card lasted, say, three years or free replacement.

Most of Galaxy's other cards seem to have a two-year parts and a three-year labor warranty.

The card is appearing somewhat late in the GTX200's lifecycle, so I imagine if someone purchased it and it failed two years in, they'd be due for an upgrade regardless.

Also, being a single-slot variant probably means someone would purchase it for a SLI setup -- implying that they're into performance, which again, would also suggest that they would likely upgrade a year or two from now anyway.

:) I don't think they're looking to put one in every desktop. I'm sure whatever they sell will meet expectations.

I bet this would be great for SLI setups, because the cards would actually be able to pull in some air. With dual slot coolers the cards are practically touching each other.

I could fit one in my studio xps motherboard - it has a single pci express slot at the bottom of the board but i couldnt fit an arctic cooler on the 4850 i have it because it would have been too wide. Now I just wonder if this is too long to fit in without having to do something to move the hard drives. Is a 260 better than a 4850? lazy but i cant remember without checking..

Technochicken said:
I bet this would be great for SLI setups, because the cards would actually be able to pull in some air. With dual slot coolers the cards are practically touching each other.

the point of a dual slot cooler is to use the 2nd slot explicitly for air flow. The box is slotted on the 2nd level to allow air flow and the ducting inside directs air onto the critical components.

The manufacturers aren't out to burn up your free tower space without cause....I promise.

Matthew said:
Also, being a single-slot variant probably means someone would purchase it for a SLI setup

Being single slot or dual slot makes no difference for SLI (2 or 3). The spacing is from the card itself and does not matter how thick the cooling configuration is (provided it doesnt extend into the other cards spot).

The only way I would make use of this is to keep my sound card, going triple SLI means going 6 slot of GPU and Cooling. With this I could still have room for my sound card, problem is 2 GTX280s is faster then 3 GTX260s so again unless you already have 2 GTX260s and the only thing keeping you from getting a third is a sound card then I see it being viable. This late in the game however is a weird ploy on Galaxy's part. The dual slot coolers are a much better design only because they vent the hot air outside of your case instead of letting it recirculate to make everything else hotter, including itself.

Eddie_42 said:
Technochicken said:

the point of a dual slot cooler is to use the 2nd slot explicitly for air flow. The box is slotted on the 2nd level to allow air flow and the ducting inside directs air onto the critical components.

The manufacturers aren't out to burn up your free tower space without cause....I promise.

wrong wrong and wrong.

Duoble space GFX cards VENT out of the back, they do not suck in air from the rear.

They pull air in from inside the case and vent out the rear.

THIS is the major problem with SLI setups because basically the top card is pulling in hot air from the card on the bottom (unless you have side fans on your case side panel which dont fix the problem but alleviate it slightly ).

Technochicken said:
Definitely... also in single gfx setups that have extra cards in it with limited slots.

guyver1 said:
Eddie_42 said:
Technochicken said:

wrong wrong and wrong.

Duoble space GFX cards VENT out of the back, they do not suck in air from the rear.

They pull air in from inside the case and vent out the rear.

THIS is the major problem with SLI setups because basically the top card is pulling in hot air from the card on the bottom (unless you have side fans on your case side panel which dont fix the problem but alleviate it slightly ).

True that, Thank you.

I think that's what he meant. What an ***** of you to even try to perforate his insatiably clear comment, that's probably exactly he meant. So why don't you append a wrong to yourself.

I would use this card to replace my physx card 9800GT 1GB in my 3-way GTX 280 SLI setup. Not sure it would make and real difference in performance as a physx card but it would look cool... lol. I'll keep my eye out for it.

Oh and before anyone asks. I watercool my GPU's.... ya kinda have to in a 3way SLI situation or you'd go deaf trying to get fans with a high enough cfm to get enough air between the cards to cool the "brick-o-heat" the stock coolers create. I tried it for a few days and overheating is inescapable.

Zeromus said:
I think that's what he meant. What an ***** of you to even try to perforate his insatiably clear comment, that's probably exactly he meant. So why don't you append a wrong to yourself.

No thats not what he meant otherwise he wouldn't have replied to the comment he replied to in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back