Galaxy Note 2 expected to ship later this year with 5.5-inch screen

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If for some strange reason you thought the Samsung Galaxy Note wasn’t large enough already, we are now hearing that the next model expected to launch later this year will have an even bigger display. The Galaxy Note 2 will reportedly ship with a 5.5-inch screen, according to unnamed sources as reported by MK Business News.

The handset is expected to make its debut next month at Germany’s IFA 2012 trade show. Aside from the larger screen, the Note 2 will have an unnamed quad-core processor, most likely the Exynos 4 Quad. A 12-13MP camera could grace the backside of the phone, a sizable upgrade from the 8MP camera found on the original. Of course, a camera’s quality isn’t based solely on megapixels, but the bump is a nice improvement.

The report also points out that the Note 2 will arrive running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, although we are unsure what UI improvements Samsung has planned for the device.

Although 5.5-inches sounds massive for a phone screen (and frankly, it is), it really isn’t going to be that much larger than the first generation Note. But even still, many people have called the Note out for simply being too large and tablet-like, the latter complaint serving as a marketing point for Samsung. Either way, it does pose a valid concern with regards to how big is too big. After all, most entry-level tablets start at 7-inches, which isn’t too far from the 5.5-inch mark.

The Note 2 is expected to launch sometime in September or October as a direct competitor to Apple’s new iPhone. No word yet on how much the phone will cost, however.

Permalink to story.

Because its so cool to walk down the street talking on a 5.5 inch phone. Right guys? right?
Wasent the idea to make cell phones SMALL? so people didnt have to keep walking around with bricks?

People are supposedly calling these big phones phablets (bigger than a phone, but not quite a tablet). Yea, I shook my head too. Worst name EVER!

Well, I've had a Dell Streak then got a Galaxy Note last December. As for holding a brick against your face, I use Bluetooth. Keeps the device free for use while working.
I can have a conversation with a coworker, while looking something up on the web without resorting to a speaker phone, or saying hold on while I look something up. A 5" to 6" screen, for my use is perfect.

" But even still, many people have called the Note out for simply being too large and tablet-like"

If its too big for your tastes, could you just simply "not" buy it? I constantly do not buy things I don't like everyday :)

This is to some extent a generational thing regarding expectations of what a phone is. Most under-20's very rarely use their phone as an actual phone, so don't have the same issues about it being too large to hold comfortably, or looking ridiculous, etc. Really the term "phone" for referring to smartphones has fallen out of date as a descriptor, it's now just a placeholder word for a small personal computing device. So really the question shouldn't be so much "is 5.5 inches too large for a phone?", it should be "is 5.5 inches too large for a portable computing/communication device?"

" But even still, many people have called the Note out for simply being too large and tablet-like"

If its too big for your tastes, could you just simply "not" buy it? I constantly do not buy things I don't like everyday :)

Sound like a legit idea. Got to try that out sometime :)

Because its so cool to walk down the street talking on a 5.5 inch phone. Right guys? right?
Wasent the idea to make cell phones SMALL? so people didnt have to keep walking around with bricks?
I've held a Note and own an SGS2. They aren't bricks. They are very very light and thin. Just quite wide and tall. Average men's pants and a note fits fine.

Is not as though Samsung is offering Note as its only phone.

It is a selection of phones. For the flagship they have the SIII, there are cheaper options for those opt for them like the Galaxy Ace. For those who want a big phone, there is the Note. Frankly, they are monopolizing the niche who want a giant phone. They aren't looking to make the Note to be THE phone in their range, and clearly the Note is working out. Why else would there be a version 2?

I've held a Note and own an SGS2. They aren't bricks. They are very very light and thin. Just quite wide and tall. Average men's pants and a note fits fine.
yea...very wide and tall means very large to hold in your hand.
I have a very large hand (an iPhone all but disappears in my hand) so these phones are perfect for me. I actually can hide my Droid Bionic in my hand (can't completely close my hand and hide it but it is mostly hidden. There are people like me who would love this phone, plus it having a Wacom digitizer and a pen makes it awesome for taking real handwritten notes. Others like it cause it's like a tablet only more portable so it's easier to move around yet has a big enough screen to watch videos and movies comfortably.

I get nothing but great comments on my phone, most wouldnt have one the size of the Note but I love it. I can use it with one hand and dont have enormous hands to start with. My problem is that us in the US on AT&T cant seem to get the ICS update in a timely manner when the rest of the world already has it weeks or months ago. Makes me ill that we are the last ones to get it and they are already talking about a 2nd gen of the phone before they update the first one. I left the Iphone 4 behind was tired of waiting on the Iphone 5 and couldnt be happier otherwise.

" If its too big for your tastes, could you just simply "not" buy it? I constantly do not buy things I don't like everyday :)

Exactly. Well said. Why do people put so much into what they don't like? Come on, hating on large phones for being akin to carrying a 90's brick phone??? What's wrong with people!

No one wants to carry around large, heavy things, or things of any size that are not comfortable. The thing is, what one person thinks is too big, another would think "I'd carry a 6in if they'd sell me one." Whats so wrong with that you haters?

Most of the people who seem to think it's too big are the journalists and reviewers who use their phone in one hand. The experts at Samsung thought it would sell, and so far it has. Turns out people are texting and Facebooking more than talking. And as more and more states pass hands-free driving laws, people will use more headsets anyway.

"The report also points out that the Note 2 will arrive running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, although we are unsure what UI improvements Samsung has planned for the device." Uh... 4.1 is a UI improvement. What are you unsure about?

It appears manufacturers are shying away from the
mention of 4G LTE capability because current battery
tech doesn't cut it.
You need to take the charger to the office or carry an
external plug-in battery with you or be able to swap the
internal one.
Note 2 would have to considered to be a 'phablet'. Not
something that easily fits into the pants pocket.

Back