Galaxy S III Mini photos and specs leak ahead of official announcement

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Specs and photos of the rumored Galaxy S III Mini have leaked out on the eve of Samsung’s launch event in Germany. According to German tech site MobileGeeks, the S III Mini will be a mid-range smartphone that is similar in design to its bigger brother at a fraction of the cost.

Leaked specifications indicate the Mini will ship with a 1GHz dual-core STE U8420 processor, 1GB of system RAM and 16GB of internal storage expandable via microSD card slot. The display is of the 4-inch Super AMOLED variety with a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels.

We’re also hearing that Samsung’s new smartphone will include Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, HSPA and NFC – all powered by a 1,500mAh battery. There’s a 5-megapixel camera on the rear that features auto-focus and LED flash. The front camera is said to be standard VGA quality.

The chassis will largely be constructed from lightweight plastic with measurements of 121.55 x 62.95 x 9.85mm. Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is expected to be the operating system of choice this time around.

Preliminary data suggests Samsung plans to sell the phone for 399 euros ($513) outside of contract. Carrier subsidies will likely bring this figure down to a more affordable level, however.

Unfortunately, the Galaxy S III Mini isn’t expected to be released in the US. Interested parties will either have to make do with the full-size Galaxy S III or try to obtain an international version of the SIII Mini for the time being. We’ll know the full details tomorrow following Samsung’s mobile event.

Permalink to story.

Still waiting for a highend android phone with 4" display.

Exactly... the "full size" S III is like a kindle fire... I dont want something that big in my pocket other than what God gave me... As a sprint customer, I have no choice but to get an iphone 5. I'm no apple fan, but I will concede it is the best offering they have right now.

Nice phone, but I like the big screen. I'm waiting on the Oppo Find 5 with a 5 inch 1920x1080 screen and 6mm thick with a 3mm border around the screen (amazing). The Oppo Finder is nice being crazy thin as well, but I'd rather wait for the Oppo Find 5.

How does a onscreen keyboard make sense on a small phone?!

The iphone5 is 1 finger width smaller than the S3, your pocket cant handle ALL that extra size?

Small is not better its annoying and useless, get a old school phone then that just makes calls. Small phones only let you make calls and click on icons. You can't properly view spreadsheets on them, typing is a gigantic pain in the butt.

Until someone creates a device with a proper brainlink interface or something crazy with a display like google goggles bigger IS better.

Exactly... the "full size" S III is like a kindle fire... I dont want something that big in my pocket other than what God gave me... As a sprint customer, I have no choice but to get an iphone 5. I'm no apple fan, but I will concede it is the best offering they have right now.

Says someone who obviously hasn't used the Galaxy S3.

LOL! Doing spreadsheets on a phone. Even working on a 13 inch laptop doing real spreadsheet work is a waste of time. Let's be serious now.

You could always buy an unlocked phone on kijiji that works on Sprints' network. If you're not the type of person to get the newest phone on release day, then wait a few months, get a phone that was $600 for $250 and you're laughin. Right now you can get a mint condition unlocked Galaxy S II on kjiji for $250cdn. And you're damn right I'd choose an S2 over a stupid iPhone 5. I instantly liked my Galaxy S1 better than the iPhone 4 I had. The hardware is nice minus the small screen, but I found iOS to be dreadful.

I own a Galaxy S3 and Kindle Fire HD. What are you talking about?!? My gf has an iphone 5 and the S3 is not much bigger than that. Add to it the non-restrictive customer trap enviroment, more power, more customability and more PC friendly(unless you own a hugely overpriced/overated IMAC/Macbook pro etc..) I owned the first gen IPhone and pre Mac bankruptcy Performa/Lc macs and the Apple products are not superior - WAKE UP - YOU ARE NOT SUPERIOR TO THE REST OF US CHAV....

Back