Galaxy S III sales surpass 30 million, beat Samsung's expectations

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung has recorded more than 30 million sales of their flagship Galaxy S III smartphone according to a recent post on the company’s Polish Twitter account. The message was accompanied by a photo showing some Samsung employees celebrating the achievement.

The Korean electronics giant managed to sell 20 million units within the first 100 days of the phone going on sale. That of course translates into roughly 200,000 handsets being sold each day as of early September.

samsung galaxy iii galaxy s iii galaxy s3

At that time, Samsung correctly predicted they would surpass the 30 million mark by the end of this year. But as we sit with nearly two full months left in 2012, I’m not sure anyone could have anticipated they’d reach that goal in such a short amount of time.

It’s anyone’s guess as to how many more Galaxy S III handsets Samsung will sell through the remainder of this year with the holiday season in tow. Several new handsets including Apple’s iPhone 5 and Nokia’s line of new Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8 are sure to offer stiff competition.

Samsung’s own just-released (in the US) Galaxy Note II is also expected to be a top seller over the next two months, potentially cannibalizing sales of the S III. The massive 5.5-inch Note II is more expensive than most other phones, however. Most providers are offering it for $299 with a two-year commitment while the Galaxy S III and other popular phones can be had for just $199 or less on contract.

Permalink to story.

Great hardware but not the OS, well at least it crashes fewer times a day compared to original SGS I had few years ago.

Great news for Samsung...congrats! This goes to show that piracy is alive and well. Also thanks to Apple for making this happen.

Samsung makes the hardware that consumers want and uses standard options like Micro USB, MicroSD card slot, and a removable battery. Love this phone, its what I've been wanting for many years! Grats to Samsung on this remarkable accomplishment.

Samsung just like apple is 1 of the major customers of foxconn... keep those costs low and suicide nets up at the foxconn factories in China

Congrats Samsung.
I wont be upgrading though,my sister has the SIII and after messing around with it I still prefer my SII.

The only reason they have many sold is because they have to replace the one that do not work! I am on my 6th one.

While I liked my Galaxy S2, a lot of people I know have found the S3 to be a bit, fragile.

St1ckM4n

It may be a random occurrence, but SGS I've used to have, had serious issues with USB connectivity along with host of other issues. Similarly SGS II I used, its screen would go green* (along with crashes and other issues), this SGS3 also suffers from these ills but with lesser frequency, although its screen went green on a single instance as well; and I am not going to talk about its cheap/plasticky feel in the hand.

To sum it up, I wouldn't be surprised if someone goes through several units to get one which at least works consistently for a while.

* I suspect it got to be some issue with their Mali 400 GPU driver.

Back