Galaxy S3 overtakes iPhone 4S as the best selling phone in the US

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s iPhone 4S has been knocked off its perch as the best selling smartphone in the US for the first time since the device launched in October 2011 according to Canaccord Genuity analyst T. Michael Walkley. Samsung’s Galaxy S III has overtaken the 4S as the hottest phone in America but it likely won’t hold the crown for very long.

Declining demand for the 4S doesn’t necessarily mean that Apple is losing touch with consumers or that Android handsets are pulling head in the smartphone race. Instead, as research from Gartner suggested last month, it is believed that many buyers are simply waiting until Cupertino introduces and subsequently launches the iPhone 5. As was expected, Apple sent out media invitations to an event for September 12 where they plan to announce the new phone.

Walkley conducts research by checking in with multiple retailers to see how phone sales are going. His report also shows the Galaxy S III is continuing to do well among smartphone buyers. Meanwhile, Nokia, HTC and Research in Motion continue to struggle.

Nokia is expected to have a solid showing tomorrow when they unveil the Lumia 820 and 920 handsets running Windows Phone 8 software. Smartphones based on RIM’s BlackBerry 10 operating system aren’t expected until the first quarter of 2013. We understand there will be six new BlackBerry phones and that two of them will be high-end devices expected to compete with other heavy hitters.

Permalink to story.

There is plenty of time for Apple to catch up once they kick Samsung out of the US market

Go figure, any of the Galaxy series phones are better than the iPhone counterparts.

^^^
That's why apple are trying to get rid of their main competition.

I think it far more relevant to show that 2/3rds of all smartphones run Android and less than a fifth run iOS. Android is 3x as popular as iOS, and people wonder why Apple sue. Apple is a loser's product, that's why they have to run to mummy.

I think it far more relevant to show that 2/3rds of all smartphones run Android and less than a fifth run iOS. Android is 3x as popular as iOS, and people wonder why Apple sue. Apple is a loser's product, that's why they have to run to mummy.

Thats because Android is like open source anyone can cheaply and freely install it on whatever they wan't, it's like the Windows of the phone world very popular but comes with all the problems associated with that.

Let's face it Android is a platform for bloatware and hardware compatibility issues, iOS is literally the Mac of the phone world designed to work on one type of hardware drivers written for it no bloatware programmed for it just works.

As a former HTC user and I swore by them, I would never go back from iOS, at least iOS does what it was designed to do.

I might try out windows phone soon but I would never go back to Android.

Really! Android is like Windows with all the problems and then you say you will never go back to Android, but you may try Windows. If it is broke like Android, just stick with IOS.

I have Android 4.0 (ICS) on my HTC Evo 4G 3D and it's simply brilliant. I really like Android phones over Apple iOS. I can easily download songs from Google, Amazon, even connect mt phone as an external drive and copy music, movies, files to it without the need for an application like iTunes. Android is superior in this regard. And I'm happy that the Samsung Galaxy S3 is taking over Apple in sales. That also is a great phone. This version of the Galaxy wasn't out when I got my phone for my carrier, but I would have instantly picked it over Apple i4, or even the anticipated i5, it if it was.

"There is plenty of time for Apple to catch up once they kick Samsung out of the US market"
You mean ban? But then what will Apple sell? They have a lot of Samsung parts in it. Ha, learn facts before posting something *****ic.

"Thats because Android is like open source anyone can cheaply and freely install it on whatever they wan't, it's like the Windows of the phone world very popular but comes with all the problems associated with that."
Like open source? It is open source. It is free and it is more like to Linux than Windows.

"Let's face it Android is a platform for bloatware and hardware compatibility issues, iOS is literally the Mac of the phone world designed to work on one type of hardware drivers written for it no bloatware programmed for it just works."
You clearly have no idea what are you writing. Where are you getting these words? From your knowledge or what you think? Clearly what you are thinking. And boy, your thinking is way off...

"As a former HTC user and I swore by them, I would never go back from iOS, at least iOS does what it was designed to do."
What the f*ck did I just read? HTC uses Android and you swore by them. You will never go back to iOS, because it does what it mean to do? And then you will never go back to Android? Why you swore to HTC then? Dude get your **** together.​

"Let's face it Android is a platform for bloatware and hardware compatibility issues"

Every app I've downloaded has worked. Bloatware? Maybe adds embedded in the free apps... nothing that really gets in the way or limits the phone though. As for the hardware on my Galaxy S2 I must say it's excellent. Except for MAYBE when I first turn my phone on, it might be a little slow for the first minute as it scans everything for malware, but I still have yet to deal with ANY lag of any sort besides. Even with many apps open, it runs nice and smooth. The battery life is quite nice too. At any rate if you're talking about "bloatware" that comes with the phone, which is my only guess, it hasn't been in the way at all. Actually now that I think about it, in the year I've had my phone so far I may have force stopped an app once... maybe. What issues are you referring to?

All I can say is that my old 50 dollar Android phone has never failed to make a phone call or install the occasional game. Its a few years old now and I still use it. It has WIFI, 3G, Camera etc etc....its all the same. All Apple products are just the same thing, with a different interface and a jacked up price.

"hardware compatibility issues"

Such as the samsung hardware used in apple products? Oh, wait, I still haven't seen any issues in my android phone.

The G3 is a very smart looking phone. With the added screen size, I can see why Apple keeps trying to get rid of Samsung. Everytime CrApple brings out a new device everyone else makes a better looking and better functioning phone. Maybe it is a form of patent infringment. The other phone makers are learning from CrApples mistakes. Ive seen Android phones just get better and better while CrApple keeps putting out the same well....crap.

Why do you want to be limited with Iphone, when you can be unlimited with Android.

Hello? It was only a matter of time. With the iPhone 5 just around the corner, people aren't buying the iPhone 4S anymore......Enjoy it while it lasts Samsung.

Back