TechSpot

Galaxy S4 touts 5" 1080p display, tons of new features, coming April

By Matthew
Mar 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Following months of rumors, teasers and leaks, Samsung took the stage in New York City this evening to unveil the Galaxy S4. As you'd expect, the device brings many improvements to the Galaxy S3 and could become the market's leading...

Read more

2. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

I want one NOW! Fantastic features, more than me (an optimist) expected.

3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,940   +379

2600mAh? with a eight core processor and 1080p screen? im curious if that works well at all.

captainawesome likes this.
  4. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

ikesmasher Android has really improve in terms of managing multi-core devices and battery life.

5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,576   +47

Yeah I wouldn't mind one of those. A shame they'll be 4 billion pound a handset outside of a contract though.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

It is really the 1.6 GHz quad core being used most of the time, and for more strenuous tasks, it uses the 1.9 GHz quad core (not sure if they add up to 8 or just switch off.)
    Yeah, and Samsung further improved the OS for the GS4

7. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Waiting for the Galaxy Note 3 this Fall with a 6 inch FLEXIBLE screen, 4gb ram, 16mp camera and 2ghz 8 core cpu. The bigger faster brother of the S4.

8. ikesmasher

Lol it doesnt have two different CPUS, it either has the quad core or the eight core based on carrier/country.
    doesnt change the 5 inch 1080p battery drain though.

9. JC713

Oh right lol, didnt you explain this to me before, I must have forgotten :(.

Edit: after doing some research I am actually right: "The international version of the Samsung Galaxy S IV is going to be powered by the Exynos 5 Octa chipset, which features four Cortex-A15 cores clocked at 1.6GHz, four Cortex-A7 cores running at 1.2GHz and the PowerVR SGX 544MP3 GPU. There will be a second version for some markets, which will be powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 chipset with its 4 Krait 300 cores and Adreno 320 GPU. Both versions will offer LTE connectivity and 2GB of RAM." (Courtesy of http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iv_goes_official_with_new_screen_and_cpu-news-5702.php) It switches between the 2 CPUs

10. JC713

I dont think a few months is enough time to bring the flexible screen to consumers, heck it was just a concept less than a year back. Note 3 will probably have a 6 INCH screen (1920x1080), 2GB of RAM, 13MP Camera, and an updated 8 Core with a better CPU and GPU. But! Samsung brought a cover for the S4 that has a display on it, so it is all possible I guess.

11. ikesmasher

different cores =/= different CPUs. As far as I know.

12. JC713

Thats what I meant lol ;)

13. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 516   +86

Total let down in my eyes, the phone should've been called the Galaxy S IIIS the way Apple names things. For me this clearly marks a slow down for Samsung. Don't get me wrong, the S4 will be a winner no doubt, but there isn't much of a wow factor since it's so similar to the previous model.

14. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 381   +70

Love the IR feature.
    Love the Camera features.
    love the 1080p.
    love the removable battery option.
    love the micro SD option.

Hate the size, it's too big. 4.7 is perfect.
    It looks like plastic feel.

UNKNOWN9122 likes this.
  15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Oooh it's super. I wouldn't say no to one. Pity I won't be able to afford it.

16. highlander84

highlander84 TS Member Posts: 98   +20

As apposed to apple? That every single model looks like the previous with zero innovation? That's not the way to go. I give a big credit to Samsung, this phone easily stands above anything else on the market at the moment...it's rightly named S4 it's a huge step above the S3. The part that I think sucks the most is its still running Android 4.2 but when 5.0 releases I'm sure it will receive it.

17. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

The physical dimensions are actually smaller than the S3, the bezels are thinner which is definitely a good thing.

As for the plastic, I'm not a fan of it either but considering most people put their phones in a case it really doesn't matter.

18. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

It's similar in looks and that's about it. I'm very impressed by what I've seen so far.

19. Sorry but just about every phone you buy is a small upgrade over the previous phone. iPhone 5 was better than the 4 because of the bigger screen and much lighter due to the aluminum design versus glass. The S4 is a slight upgrade from the S3. And it does NOT stand above every other phone. The new LG and even HTC have similar specs.

20. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,119   +723

I've said this about Apple too because they're phones are so similar to each other. If it's not broken, don't fix it. The iPhone is a widely recognized design, as is the SIII. If you make your new phones look similar then someone will be able to recognize your phone from a distance. It's good marketing for potential buyers to be able to see your product being used by others.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next few Samsung phones look similar to the SIII too. The Note does. Even the New Galaxy Tab 8 looks like a giant SIII.

21. Yep:

Galaxy S3 = 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm
    Galaxy S4 = 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm

22. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

My suspicions are that most manufactures don't do their own manufacturing! I know, a shocker right? So this leaves a list of common off-the-shelf parts available to companies developing their products. LG makes some of the Apple iPhone 5 displays for example. The main difference is in the design and less to do with the hardware: shape and features. Which is where I think the Samsung phones are beating the market. They're fantastic phones and well equipped.

23. Impressive features, not so impressive looks. Also not a fan of Android's cartoonish appearance either.

24. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Enthusiast Posts: 530   +85

AWESOME. I guess I'm going to have one mad wife come April.

I also like the look of the phone. I don't know why people don't like but to each his own.

25. SCJake

SCJake TS Rookie Posts: 80

Give me nexus style clean android and ill crap myself over this beauty.

as far as the cpu discussion/argument goes. There will be 2 separate models. One will use a quad core. The other will use 2 "separate" (used loosely) cpus. a quad A15 set, and a quad A7 set. no one really knows how exactly this will work, but I assume that the A7 will stay on always and only switch on the A15 set. I doubt the A7 set will turn off as it's very hard to hold a system in a chip then move the whole thing over to another when the second set pops on. They would almost definitely have to be separate chips (doesnt really matter because most phone boards are all one piece anyway) due to the fact that they are clocked differently and have different cache pools. Keep in mind all of this is my assumptions based on what I know about x86 hardware. ARM is a whole different ballpark

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.