Galaxy S5 fingerprint reader could encompass the entire screen

By Shawn Knight
Feb 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S5 was long expected to feature an eye scanner for improved security. That feature, however, appears to have been shelved in exchange for a fingerprint scanner - one that could encompass the entire screen according to at...

Read more
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  2. 128GB internal storage? wowowow!! but I already have Nexus 5.
  3. SirGCal

SirGCal TechSpot Member Posts: 86   +21

Am I the only one? I love my S4 and the PPI are insanely sharp... But how sharp do we need in a similarly sized screen? It simply becomes harder to drive the graphics and requires more battery power. Even existing 1080 displays might be overkill already in that regard. Where is the line?
  4. That's too bad, I thought the NSA would only have the fingerprints of Apple users. :(
    wastedkill likes this.
  5. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,116   +228

Bet the NSA financed this haha, I would say a good real fingerprint reader would make the Galaxy more secure and easier to unlock.
  6. Wait, I thought us Android fans thought Apple and the fingerprint thing was stupid... do we think its cool now? Please let me know, I am so confused....
  7. Holotus

Holotus Newcomer, in training Posts: 55   +6

>fingerprint scanner

In other words.... more ways for the government to track us.
  8. Phraun

Phraun Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and stick with the pattern unlock thanks. I have yet to encounter a consumer print scanner that doesn't flake out constantly.
  9. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,116   +228

You know whats cool... branding yourself with a iron thats always cool.
    Bubbajim likes this.
  10. "Wait, I thought us Android fans thought Apple and the fingerprint thing was stupid... do we think its cool now? Please let me know, I am so confused...."

Lmao! Made my day with that comment!
  11. Android set standard for fingerprint scanner smartphone with Atrix in 2011, iPhone bought Authentec (company that made scanner for Atrix) and released their version of scanner (which blows btw). There are countless apps in the android market that mimic the full screen finger functionality and now Samsung is bringing the idea to fruition.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.