Galaxy Tab 3 lineup pricing and availability detailed, starts at $199

Jos

Staff

After announcing a trio of Galaxy Tab devices over the last couple of months, Samsung is finally ready to share US availability and pricing details for the next generation of its tablets. In a nutshell, they’ll start at $199, $299 and $399 for the 7.0- , 8.0- and 10.1-inch models respectively, and will be available from retailers including Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and others beginning on July 7, with pre-orders starting tomorrow June 25.

As a refresher, the entry-level Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 sports a dual-core 1.2GHz processor paired with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage. For anyone desiring more space there’s also a microSD expansion slot. Other than that you get a 7-inch 1,024 x 600 TFT display, front and rear-facing cameras at 1.3 and 3.0 megapixel respectively, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, as well as Samsung's apps and built-in hubs.

The Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 bumps up the processor to an Exynos 1.5GHz dual-core, offers 1.5GB of RAM, and its 8-inch screen also improves resolution to 1,280 x 800. Base storage is doubled to 16GB while keeping the option to expand through microSD, and you’ll be running the latest Android 4.2 Jelly Bean release. A 5-megapixel rear camera and a 1.3-megapixel front camera round out the specifications sheet.

Lastly, the 10.1 inch model is perhaps the most intriguing of them all, due to the fact that it uses a 1.6-GHz Intel Atom Z2560 "Clover Trail+" processor. This will be the first Intel Android device released in the U.S.

samsung galaxy tab android tablet galaxy tab 3

The tablet features the same 1280 x 800 resolution as the 8-inch model, which means it has a lower PPI at 149, and as you might expect it sports a bigger 6,800 mAh battery to support the power demands of a larger screen.  It is also lacking next to its smaller sibling in a couple areas. It has 1GB of RAM, down from 1.5GB, and while its front facing camera is the same, the rear unit is only 3-megapixels.

On the upside it does include a built-in IR blaster as well as Samsung's WatchON TV recommendation service,  so you can use it to control your TV. It comes with Android 4.2, 16GB of memory and a microSD slot.

To sweeten the deal Samsung is including a $10 Google Play Store voucher, one free year of Boingo’s hotspot service, three months of Hulu Plus, and 50GB of free Dropbox storage for two years with all three models.

Permalink to story.

Instead of adding all the things to sweeten the deal Samsung should just lower the prices by $50.

I'm not interested in an upgrade until a 7-12inch AMOLED screen is included. They are not impressing anyone with this "upgrade"

Well if I had money I would like the 7-inches, as described above, portability, I imagine it consumes less energy than the other.

I'm not interested in an upgrade until a 7-12inch AMOLED screen is included. They are not impressing anyone with this "upgrade"

Yeah, it's not much of an upgrade to the 8 inch tablet, but at least they're coming out with a 7 inch $200 tablet. They haven't had one before. Kinda light on the specs, but for $200, you can't expect too much I guess.

Bah. Seems pretty lame for the 10.1. But to be fair I will hold off final judgement until I see how the 10.1 Tab 3 performs with it's Clover Trail CPU and 1GB of RAM. I think an Exynos CPU and 2GB+ RAM as well as an AMOLED screen would of been the way to go.

Nah. I would take an iPad over this... The only Android tablet I like is the Xperia Tablet Z.

I wouldn't touch Samsung and their devices over anything. They are an embarrassment to Jelly Bean and should not be allowed to mess it up with their bloat. Nexus all the way... 4 + 7 + 10, all superior devices then any Samsung variant.

I had a Galaxy tab 2 10.1. I sold it because there is no real use for it. Its more like a toy. I will wait till something new and interesting comes out. my Galaxy S4 seems to handle everything a tablet would.

Back