Galaxy Tab S5e appears to be another Samsung device with a design flaw

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: With the Galaxy Note 7 debacle now years in the past, Samsung probably never expected to experience similar, if non-explosive, design issues in its products again. But the Galaxy Fold review units proved otherwise. If that wasn’t bad enough, it appears there’s also a flaw in its recent Galaxy Tab S5e.

Back in February, Samsung unveiled what it said is its thinnest, lightest tablet ever: the $399 Tab S5e. Sadly for the company, the tablet appears to suffer from a major design drawback. As reported by SamMobile, several users have reported experiencing Wi-Fi disconnections whenever their hand covers the lower-left corner of the device. This occurs when using the Tab in landscape mode with the front-facing camera on the left.

It appears that when a user’s hand is in this position, it blocks the Wi-Fi signal from reaching the tablet’s integrated receiver. You can always remedy the issue by switching the Tab around so the front-facing camera is on the right, or use it in portrait mode, but it’s still something Samsung should have caught in the testing phase.

One Instagram user posted a picture showing the disconnection issue. He also claimed that this is the second Tab S5e to experience the problem. Being a hardware fault, it can’t be addressed with a software update.

It’s worth noting that this doesn’t seem to be affecting every unit. SamMobile tried to replicate the issue but never lost the Wi-Fi connection, though the signal strength did drop by 50 percent.

Samsung hasn’t commented on the matter—it’s probably busy trying to fix the Galaxy Fold—but maybe it’ll take Steve Jobs’ approach to similar complaints about the iPhone 4 and tell people they’re holding it wrong.

Permalink to story.

I read: several users, I see: one Instagram user.
Dear Techspot, please test this for yourself before reposting any false claims from Instagram.

"but it’s still something Samsung should have caught in the testing phase."

I don't think Samsung actually tests their devices anymore.

They just rush products to market in order to say that they got their before Apple.

It's better to be RIGHT than to be first.

They just rush products to market in order to say that they got their before Apple.

It's really funny you actually mention Apple, when they are releasing devices with same or even much worse issues :D
The crap I had to endure using iPad Pro.

in business its better to be first as you can always fix being wright not being first.

in business its better to be first as you can always fix being wright not being first.
EA style of business :-D Hype it, release it unfinished and if the title is sucesfull maybe, maybe fix it.

I own this tablet. This is definitely not an issue that has any meaningful impact in real life.
When holding it as firmly as possible, I manage to lose 1 bar on the Wi-Fi icon in the status bar at most. Not any impact on speed.
I think it's a rush of news websites for clicks, or to depreciate an otherwise great tablet that probably offers the best value for money in the entire market.
Look at what you get at Apple for a much higher price, with the iPad Air 2019: no USB-C, no fast charger, no OLED nor QHD, no 4k video recording (not that I care, but still...), no quad speakers, half as much storage and RAM, huge bezels, more weight and a higher thickness. And if you take into account software features, it's not a fair competition anymore, with DeX (without any external display needed!), Linux on DeX, support for external storage and USB Type-C peripherals, reversed charging (for your phone or accessories), mouse support...

It's really funny you actually mention Apple, when they are releasing devices with same or even much worse issues :D
The crap I had to endure using iPad Pro.
The commonality is of course high prices and low quality. Google builds utter trash and now wants champagne prices for the privilege. Many people have to try 3-4 Pixel 3's to get a good one. Samesung rushing out overpriced products to one-up Apple, iTards rushing out to buy any trash because it's Apple. They have no incentive to do better because imbeciles still pay through the nose.

I read: several users, I see: one Instagram user.
Dear Techspot, please test this for yourself before reposting any false claims from Instagram.
Maybe you should do a bit more research.... this has been widely reported across numerous websites - there are plenty of users replicating this problem... not just 1 guy on Instagram!

Because those websites couldn't have been duped either? Nothing like doing a little work and researching the problem yourself before writing a news article.

All devices are coming out with issues some major ones too.. can't pin this on one manufacturer since they all do it. This is at least a relatively minor issue.

I have a pixel 2 xl and love it. Only had to try one. Got it discounted with free headset it was a bargain for what I got. Premium phone and camera for family and friends photos.

All devices are coming out with issues some major ones too.. can't pin this on one manufacturer since they all do it. This is at least a relatively minor issue.

I have a pixel 2 xl and love it. Only had to try one. Got it discounted with free headset it was a bargain for what I got. Premium phone and camera for family and friends photos.

I can pin it on any manufacturer who rushes garbage to market.

While I won't necessarily blame Corporations for having cheap- Chinese-made-batteries that explode - as far as I'm concerned, they need to spend more to ramp up quality control. Failure rates above 5% are unforgivable.

Back