'Game of Thrones' season premiere sets new piracy record

By Shawn Knight
Apr 2, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Game of Thrones was the second most downloaded show in 2011 behind Dexter before earning the top spot last year. And if preliminary figures from last night’s season three premiere are any indication, HBO’s hit series could very well earn...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,097   +724

Doesn't surprise me.
  3. Tangfastics2012

Tangfastics2012 Newcomer, in training

That doesn't shock me one bit, it's a great show!
  4. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 768   +47

Good thing the producer doesn't think much of piracy. Heck, I'd be proud of myself for that one.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,889   +608

So is the super bowl... but Game of Thrones isn't for sale. And since they're not showing it on demand, I'm guessing it's bringing in more via HBO subscriptions than it would if they sold it by itself. In fact, they might even lose subscriptions if they sold it on demand.
    TomSEA likes this.
  6. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,195   +105

No doubt it will be a goldmine anyhow.
  7. Piracy or no piracy... If something is good, its gonna sell...
  8. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 364   +66

I would just sell the torrent seed on the HBO website for a fair price. That will solve that problem.
  9. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,228   +329

If they keep it as boring as the 3rd season's opening, they will likely lose some fans. IMDB shows the lowest rating received by the opening episode.
  10. Fernando GC

Fernando GC TechSpot Member

Boxsets will sell like CRAZY, you dont show up on Christmass with pirated stuff. So Im sure theyll be fine.
    mrcavooter likes this.
  11. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TechSpot Member Posts: 65   +7

The third book was the most action packed of them all so I am going to predict this season will follow suit. Otherwise lets organize a lynch mob.
  12. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 563   +96

As the director says: "It matters."
  13. 8,8 rating is low? Season 2 first episode have 8,6

14. VitalyT

For a movie that averages 9.4 - yes, it is a yawn.
  15. KiwiCant

KiwiCant Newcomer, in training

We pay 70 bucks per month (which is a lot - Movies/Entertainment + Sport) for our "comprehensive Foxtel TV package" here in Aussie but still cant get GoH.
    Even tho the show is fast tracked (we get it 2 hrs after you guys) to us to help stop piracy.... good move you'd think! Then they moved it to another package to get us to pay more.... peps out here not happy.... hurray for the internet I say!!
  16. VitalyT

Ok, Episode 4 was really the best so far, getting 9.6 rating, the highest in the series. It should have been called "The biatch fights back".
  17. Vilandra

Vilandra TechSpot Member Posts: 27

Daenerys has never been my favorite character, but that scene was awesome. No Jon Snow this week though :(

Why doesn't HBO just sell HBOGo as separate from an HBO subscription?
  18. VitalyT

That's what I hear from women. Guys dig her though ;)

Must be chilling in Costa Rica or something, after having done the previous episodes in Iceland. I don't think that going by Snow helped him at all :)
  19. Vilandra

Vilandra TechSpot Member Posts: 27

I don't really mind Dany as a character, but in the books and show those parts just bored me and I couldn't wait to get back to the other characters.
    VitalyT likes this.
  20. mrcavooter

mrcavooter TechSpot Member Posts: 65   +7

Stormborn is a BAMF. I will say she becomes a little lackadaisical after this season.
  21. VitalyT

She just spent many days talking to an a$$hole who kept calling her a biatch and all the bad things, thinking she didn't understand any of that. Now how would you react to that? :)

Burning that guy was the most humane thing she could have done! :)

It was fun watching her two war councils going to the trade without a clue it'l turn into a BBQ party :)

I like her character, good grit!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.