Game Showing Strange Lag/Stutter/Pulse during both active gameplay and cutscenes.

I started playing Fable - The Lost Chapters last night and got a really strange lag. The game runs really smoothly, but it freezes for .05-.1 seconds approximately every 2 seconds. This happens during gameplay as well as cutscenes. I set all the options to minimum to see if it improved, but there was no change, so I set everything to maximum, again, no change. I'm used to everything just slowing down to a really slow frame rate if the game is too much for my system, and this isn't what's happening. It runs very smoothly with intermittent pauses.

I'm about three steps ahead of your grandma when it comes to computer knowledge, so I'm not sure what you need. Here's everything.

• OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1
  • Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
  • Other OS Description Not Available
  • OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
  • System Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
  • System Model 500R5K/501R5K/500R5Q
  • System Type x64-based PC
  • System SKU ATIV A5A5-A5A5-A5A5-A5A5-A5A5-A5A5
  • Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
  • BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P09RCY.084.150324.CC, 3/24/2015
  • SMBIOS Version 2.8
  • Embedded Controller Version 255.255
  • BIOS Mode UEFI
  • BaseBoard Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
  • BaseBoard Model Not Available
  • BaseBoard Name Base Board
  • Platform Role Mobile
  • Secure Boot State On
  • PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
  • Windows Directory C:\windows
  • System Directory C:\windows\system32
  • Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
  • Locale United States
  • Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.17196"
  • Time Zone Korea Standard Time
  • Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
  • Total Physical Memory 7.92 GB
  • Available Physical Memory 5.92 GB
  • Total Virtual Memory 9.70 GB
  • Available Virtual Memory 7.00 GB
  • Page File Space 1.78 GB
  • Page File C:\pagefile.sys
  • Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
  • Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
  • Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
  • Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
Video Card Information

• Name NVIDIA GeForce 840M
  • PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1341&SUBSYS_C757144D&REV_A2\4&28D141CF&0&00E4
  • Adapter Type GeForce 840M, NVIDIA compatible
  • Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce 840M
  • Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes
  • Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
  • Driver Version 9.18.13.4801
  • INF File oem7.inf (Section028 section)
  • Color Planes Not Available
  • Color Table Entries Not Available
  • Resolution Not Available
  • Bits/Pixel Not Available
  • Memory Address 0xF6000000-0xF70FFFFF
  • Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xF1FFFFFF
  • Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF1FFFFFF
  • I/O Port 0x0000DF80-0x0000DFFF
  • IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967292
  • Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (9.18.13.4801, 9.79 MB (10,265,408 bytes), 9/19/2015 2:27 AM)
Troubleshooting:

• Updated all my drivers through Samsung's "SW Update" program.
  • Changed laptop settings from optimized to high performance.
  • Opened up the NVidia control panel and set it to "Let application decide". This is where things get weird. The spinning graphic in the middle does the same thing. It rotates a quarter turn, freezes for a fraction of a second and then resumes spinning for another quarter turn.
  • Messed around with the other NVidia settings.
  • Opened the task manager, ran the game for a few minutes, CPU and Memory were both under 20% for the whole time, even at max settings.
  • Tried to check for overheating. My laptop feels fairly cool to the touch at all points, but I'm not sure how to get an accurate temperature reading.
  • Tried all XP and Vista compatibility modes.
  • Updated all my NVIDIA drivers through their separate tool.
None of these things have had any effect. What concerns me the most is the same freezing happening in the Nvidia control panel.

My tech knowledge is very limited, but I can (and have for the past five hours) Google things and follow basic instructions. If you need any more information please let me know, and bear with me if I'm not great on a lot of terminology. Thanks in advance for your help.

I think it's unlikely. It feels cool to the touch and I don't have this problem with games that are more taxing on the system.

Yes, I ran 3-4 different games to see if any of them did the same thing. The only other place I see it is in the nvidia control panel where the spinning graphic in the middle has the same lag.

Also, just downloaded an app to check temperatures. 38-40(C)

Back