Game won't run, not recognizing a codec

By Dhakos
Dec 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all

I've been trying to install and play a windows 98 game, on my XP computer it worked no trouble at all, however the only reason it isn't working on my vista computer, is because it says I need to have this indeo codec installed, thats fair enough, but it gives me the option to install it when installing the game, but then says I don't need to because I have a better version.

So long story short, I have a better version of this codec than the one the game requires, but because of that, it says I need to install the version the game needs... well, I'd rather not have to downgrade a (from what I can tell) very important codec.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make the game ignore that I don't have specifically "V.5.03" and just run anyway?

Many Thanks
  2. Dhakos

Dhakos TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 79

Problem solved, please close thread :)
  3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 3,797   +116

You could explain how you solved it - Maybe it will help someone else in the future. :)
  4. brucethetech

brucethetech TS Enthusiast Posts: 229

he probably run the program as either an adminstrator or on compatability mode.
  5. Dhakos

Dhakos TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 79

Well, it was embarrassing... haha, y'see I've tried to run many old games in the past, and compatability mode has NEVER helped haha, but this time it worked like a charm ;)