Games Crashing / Freezing

By acetone
Nov 27, 2007
  1. I bought a new computer about a month ago and built it myself as i have most of my computers. This time i have had so many problems and cannot figure them out for the life of me. First i had a Radeon x1950 pro that was overheating and crashing everything. I sent it back for a new one and it also crashed games but did not overheat.

I then bought a Geforce 8600 GTS games are still crashing. Sometimes i crash to bluescreen with the nvidia driver failure message. Sometimes i just crash to desktop while other times the entire computer crashes and i have to reboot. At this point i dont think its a graphics card issue and possibly some other hardware issue.

My PSU is an Ultra X-Connect X2 550 Watt
    I monitor CPU temperatures it never overheats
    I monitor GPU temperatures they no longer oveheat
    Voltages seem ok

I am using Onboard Realtek audio which could be an issue but im not certain

When i run any 3d intensive game they crash randomly right now im only running CoD4 and Lotro

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. robin_bga

robin_bga TS Rookie Posts: 171

To me that sounds like a driver issue, ok i can't prove that, but what u can do is got to "run" and type 'eventvwr.msc', if u r running vista, then press 'winlogokey + r' then click on system. that should give u list of errors,and the u will see what to go about it.
    If its a driver issue, all u need to do is to make sure u uninstall the drivers for nvidia, and all for ATI and then reboot, and try reinstalling them again.
    That should solve your problems.
    All the best.

3. acetone

acetone TS Rookie Topic Starter

i thought the same thing at first so i did that and still had the problem so i went ahead did a fresh reformat and only installed the geforce and still have problems. Im going to try a fresh install of the radeon and see what happens.

EDIT : Ran memtest on my ram looks like they have some errors im going to try and replace them see if that helps
  4. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

Heat. It's the number one killer and will cause your system to freeze.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.