Games crashing with GeForce 8800 GS

Video Card : Nvidia 8800 GS
2 GB RAM
MSI Motherboard

has been working like this perfectly for 2 years now. About a month ago, I would try to play a game that I had been playing for 5 months already, but tit would just crash on the loading screen.

I ran DXDiag and tried Direct3D.At first, it would freeze at Direct8 test. Then it would freeze at the Direct9 test.

So later on this problem would persist with avi's, youtube videos, but not MPEGs (really didn't help my current video editing problem, but that's another story).

Today, I had the time to try to find out the problem. I changed the hardware acceleration all the way down and uncechked the little box under it. I would get an Nvidia message saying that I need to have it at full. After 2 restarts, I just disabled the Video Card,

This made the computer switch to use the Integrated Graphics. I then downloaded the drivers for my graphics card, installed, and restarted. I couldn't find out where to switch back to the Video Card instead of the integrated graphics! So all I did was disable the Integrated graphics from the desktop, restarted, and got no video, but I woul;d get audio.

I tried running the BIOS and selecting the PCI-E, save and quit, but still black screen. I then tried to switch to the integrated graphics, still a black screen.

So then I removed the grpahics card, re-attached the monitor to the integrated graphics instead, still no luck. Black screen again.

Then I popped in the video card, plugged monitor to video card, no luck again. Even did the BIOS things again. Black Screen after Windows XP loading sign.

Any solutions? This is pretty urgent. :(

Press F8 like a mad man when splash screen comes up. You will get a list of options including safe mode. Select the option that says "enable low resolution" once windows loads, select the proper resolution.

Hope it works!

I was in the part with the safe mode options and such. The only option I could find relevant was the Enable VGA mode. Still, black screen after load screens (no welcome, desktop) but still had sound.:(

There was no "Enable Low Resolution" option.

Back