Games for Windows Live gets in on the weekend discounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Taking a page off of services like Steam and Direct2Drive, Microsoft is hoping to get more people notice its recently launched 'Games on Demand' service by offering deep discounts on premium titles. Starting today and all the way through Monday, March 1st, you'll be able to pick up the critically acclaimed Batman: Arkham Asylum for 75% off its regular $49.99 price -- that's just $12.49.

The company is promising similar deals every weekend throughout the month of March. The game and the deal will be announced by Microsoft's Xbox division voice, Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, through his Twitter account. There are only thirteen titles on the service right now, so you might want to check them out and hope you favorite is up for next week's deal.

Other sales running this weekend include all of the Spellforce games selling for 75% off via Steam, several strategy games on Direct2Drive with discounts ranging from 25% up to 75%, and a handful of titles going for as little as $4.99 on Impulse.

Permalink to story.

Well thats my cue to go ahead and finally buy Batman, I've heard its a great game.

I haven't tried the Windows Live client yet but I do hope its good. I love Steam and all, but I think Steam needs more competition. Impulse is a great client but it just cannot match Steam on the deals yet (only thing I use it for is Sins of a Solar Empire).

That's an incredible price for a game that is still $40+ dollars everywhere else. Won many "Game of the Year" nods last year.

*Shudder*
After my experience with GFWL with Red Faction, they couldn't pay me to install that game via GFWL!

Yeah, I had very bad experiences with Fallout 3 DLC on GFWL. But they've tweaked their site since then, are pumping up their customer service and are working towards catching up with Steam and D2D. Not that I'm a fan of Microsoft anything, but for $12.50, whaddya got to lose?

I would've preferred it on Steam but at that price, it's a steal. At least I'll get more points on my Gamertag by playing it on Games for Windows. :p

unless they ditch the points i don't think I'll be buying anything from Microsoft via download. If goes on sale once it'll go on sale again (eventually).

I for one love GFWL, with the notable exception of requiring to sign in before loading game saves. Not that it affects me in any way.
Fallout and Arkham are my two games for it and they work just fine.

Besides sanity...not much I suppose. :)

I'm still not biting. I thought Fallout 3 DLC was bad, Red Faction killed any hope of me every trying GFWL again.

Jos said:
Actually, you are not required to use Microsoft Points, they have been taking credit cards for a while now. The point system is still the only way to purchase additional game content though:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977891

Cool, I was unaware of that, still wish we could purchase dlc without points. The problem with points is that if you only intend the occasional purchase you are wasting money buying them in chunks (especially when zune marketplace is not available in canada where you could maybe purchase a song or two with the leftovers).

Great to see competition in the digital distribution market, a steam user myself I prefer to buy games on it, however I bought my first retail game in a long time by pre ordering BFBC2 from play.com, much cheaper than Steam.

Good to see Microsoft finally moving forward with great sales and starting it off with an awesome title like Batman! Hopefully they will realize the need now for an overhaul on GFWL as it's simply inferior to everything else out there, even to its own brother Xbox Live. So much potential...I can only hope they will eventually see it.

Purchased my copy. I prefer Steam myself, but still, this isn't all that bad. There IS DRM with this game, though. The disclaimer on the game states it MAY limit the # of installs, but it never comes right and tells you IF it really does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back