TechSpot

Games run way too fast

By Jjiinx
Jul 27, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4000+ ~600MHz and an Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS with Vista Ultimate Edition Installed and just recently, seemingly out of nowhere, the games that I was playing now run MUCH faster, like playing it in fast forward. I have AMD CoolnQuiet turned off, I installed the AMD Optimizer and still no success. The games I've tried running are Mass Effect, Portal, Assassins Creed, and Crysis. They all run way too fast. Strangely enough there's 2 games that don't run at super speeds: Ragnarok Online, and Oblivion. I have no idea what caused this as I haven't changed my hardware and I have no Idea how to fix it. I have Windows, all my drivers, and DirectX fully updated if that helps...

2. Jjiinx

Jjiinx TS Rookie Topic Starter

can anyone please help?

3. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Here's what you do:

For each specific game, you Google the <'game name' AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4000 GeForce 8600GTS Vista Ultimate runs fast> or something similar and surf around.

A couple of those games shouldn't do this for sure on your rig, so there may be similar problems for other people.

Not the best advice but A START.

4. Jjiinx

I've tried that for weeks now and I've yet to find an answer. Posting a HELP ME topic was my last resort ;_;

5. NFSFAN

NFSFAN TS Rookie Posts: 340

What do you mean they run too fast? Like as in fast forward or what?

6. Jjiinx

Yeah. they run in fast forward, so fast that all games are completely unplayable

7. CCT

8. Jjiinx

I've been to that website already and none if it helped ;_;

9. CCT

So, why don't YOU list what you have tried then we won't spend a bunch of time to only have you tell us you 'been there done that!'.

Ya know!

:)

10. Jjiinx

I just tried reinstalling Windows, then i installed and updated crysis and it still runs too fast. could it be a problem with the cpu or heat sink compound? Before I set up the pc i took the processor out and put wt back in without applying new compound because i only had it off the motherboard for a few hours

11. Jjiinx

Fixed it! I updated Direct X 9 and I uninstalled some programs and now the games don't run fast anymore! Hope this helps anyone else having this problem

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.