TechSpot

Games suddenly starts running slow

By felaia
Nov 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. good evening

my pc:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

Mainboard Model DP35DP (0x00000190 - 0x005AA200)

Hardware monitor NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Temperature 0 109°C (228°F) (GPU Core)

Memory Type DDR2
    Memory Size 4096 MBytes
    Channels Dual, (Symmetric)
    Memory Frequency 400.0 MHz (5:6)

here s my problem:

i dont know why, sometimes when im playing a game (lastly nba 2k11) its been happening thay suddenly the game starts running really slow, to the point that i have to stop playing it.
    at the begginig the game runs smoothly during the gameplay, because it looks really slow navigating on the games menu (but its been like this since i got the game).
    sometimes, i play for about 2 minutes, and i have to stop because of that.
    one day something curious happened: i decided to minimize the game when it happened and use internet to search for possible solutions.
    while i was navigating, i notice that also the web browser looked slow going to the bottom of the screen when i minimzed it.. but after a few minutes it whould go back to normal. so i went go back to the game, played for a few minutes until everyting started to move slowly again.
    going to the task admin i notice svchost.exe was using lots of memory, and that if i clicked on stoping that process the game whould inmediatly beggning to run normal for a while.
    what can i do to avoid this situation? could it be something related to that svchost process, the video card (since it also affects the performance of other visual tasks outside the game), drivers, etc?
    thanks for the help

2. shoeseat

shoeseat TS Member Posts: 93

Have you checked your GPU temperature while gaming?You have mentioned 109°C as your GPU temperature.If it's your GPU Temp then it surely is due to ur video card.

3. ComputerGuy55

ComputerGuy55 TS Maniac Posts: 530

Yeah this seems like a hardware heat problem, I use to have a problem playing games where the computer would play perfectly for about 10 minutes and then it would just slow right down to a crawl, then after about 5minutes of extremely lag/delay it would run fine again for a bit.. After I cleaned out the computer with a can of compressed air, new thermal paste on the CPU, and cleaned out the VC as well it worked perfectly fine, 100% all the time.

So I would suggest trying to dust out the whole computer, as well as spend some time cleaning out the VC itself to see if you can reduce that temperature.. If the card allows it I would take the fan off that it has and replace with a new one.. Also if you feel comfortable replace the CPU Thermal paste, this can reduce some problems on computers as well.

4. felaia

felaia TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks for the answers.
    do yo think it is really a hardware problem?
    if im in the game and i minimize it when it slows down, a few seconds later the pc will run normal (game will remian running but paused)... but once i get back to the game, problems will start again (but not all the time).
    anway im going to clean the pc and see if it helps

5. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Keep track of the temps for the CPU and GPU. One of them may be throttling if it's getting too warm.

6. ComputerGuy55

Yes, because once you alt tab out of the game the Video card does not need to work nearly as hard to produce graphics as when the game is open on your screen.

7. felaia

felaia TS Rookie Topic Starter

well, you were right xD
    i started to clean the fans inside, and after finishing, i turned on the pc while the cpu was still open to check if everthing looked normal. well it didnt. the video cards fan wasnt moving. it was triying to do so but something kept it stuck.
    anyway i had the idea of buying a new video card for christmas.
    thanks.

8. ComputerGuy55

Yeah, well glad to hear your issue has been resolved, it's very frustrating trying to play a game when it freezes or skips on you from time to time.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.