Games suddenly starts running slow

good evening

my pc:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

Mainboard Model DP35DP (0x00000190 - 0x005AA200)

Hardware monitor NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
Temperature 0 109°C (228°F) (GPU Core)

Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Channels Dual, (Symmetric)
Memory Frequency 400.0 MHz (5:6)

here s my problem:

i dont know why, sometimes when im playing a game (lastly nba 2k11) its been happening thay suddenly the game starts running really slow, to the point that i have to stop playing it.
at the begginig the game runs smoothly during the gameplay, because it looks really slow navigating on the games menu (but its been like this since i got the game).
sometimes, i play for about 2 minutes, and i have to stop because of that.
one day something curious happened: i decided to minimize the game when it happened and use internet to search for possible solutions.
while i was navigating, i notice that also the web browser looked slow going to the bottom of the screen when i minimzed it.. but after a few minutes it whould go back to normal. so i went go back to the game, played for a few minutes until everyting started to move slowly again.
going to the task admin i notice svchost.exe was using lots of memory, and that if i clicked on stoping that process the game whould inmediatly beggning to run normal for a while.
what can i do to avoid this situation? could it be something related to that svchost process, the video card (since it also affects the performance of other visual tasks outside the game), drivers, etc?
thanks for the help

Have you checked your GPU temperature while gaming?You have mentioned 109°C as your GPU temperature.If it's your GPU Temp then it surely is due to ur video card.

Yeah this seems like a hardware heat problem, I use to have a problem playing games where the computer would play perfectly for about 10 minutes and then it would just slow right down to a crawl, then after about 5minutes of extremely lag/delay it would run fine again for a bit.. After I cleaned out the computer with a can of compressed air, new thermal paste on the CPU, and cleaned out the VC as well it worked perfectly fine, 100% all the time.

So I would suggest trying to dust out the whole computer, as well as spend some time cleaning out the VC itself to see if you can reduce that temperature.. If the card allows it I would take the fan off that it has and replace with a new one.. Also if you feel comfortable replace the CPU Thermal paste, this can reduce some problems on computers as well.

thanks for the answers.
do yo think it is really a hardware problem?
if im in the game and i minimize it when it slows down, a few seconds later the pc will run normal (game will remian running but paused)... but once i get back to the game, problems will start again (but not all the time).
anway im going to clean the pc and see if it helps

Keep track of the temps for the CPU and GPU. One of them may be throttling if it's getting too warm.

Yes, because once you alt tab out of the game the Video card does not need to work nearly as hard to produce graphics as when the game is open on your screen.

well, you were right xD
i started to clean the fans inside, and after finishing, i turned on the pc while the cpu was still open to check if everthing looked normal. well it didnt. the video cards fan wasnt moving. it was triying to do so but something kept it stuck.
anyway i had the idea of buying a new video card for christmas.
thanks.

Yeah, well glad to hear your issue has been resolved, it's very frustrating trying to play a game when it freezes or skips on you from time to time.

Guys , I am also suffering from this **** . I'm running Windows 7 ultimate x64 os . All my games including FIFA and emulator based games have suddenly started to run slower than it ran before . Now , here's the f***ng thing . My system configuration is
☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺
GPU : NVIDIA GEFORCE 520GT 4 GB
Motherboard : MSI
RAM(2 sticks) : Transcend (2 GB + 2 GB = 4)
INTEL CorI 3 2nd Gen
2.06 GHZ Processor
Western Digital 500 GB SATA HDD
☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺
I have scanned my full PC with BitDefender , McAfee & Kespersky antivirus and remove my viruses . Then I uninstalled then , deleted there folder directory which makes no sense about them running in the background .

2 things come to mind. A virus that I've had come on my system and nVidias stream service that gets installed with newer driver updates for nvidia cards

First I want to try the nVidia service. An just as a heads up this is considered thread hijacking as well as bringing back a dead post. You "should" start a new thread with your problem as the title etc but I'm still willing to help (just letting you know incase a forum mod sees).

Alright so go to start, right click My Computer and go to Manage. From there open up services. In the list of services check for nVidia Stream something (not on my PC at the moment sorry). If it is there, right click, properties, then change it from automatic to Disabled (manual can still have it turn on when another program requests it)

The virus one I won't bother getting into unless this doesn't work. Try it and let me know. I know for me it made quite a difference playing Battlefield 4 when turning this service off

Hi sir I wnt to know as m having a laptop with config. 4gb ram 2gb nvidia 820 m...my game "blur" was runnoing smoothly earlier now it runs a bit laggy nd my frnd who has the same lappy his game runs smoothly any solution for dis?

First things I would do is think of any recent changes be it windows updates, video driver updates, program installs.

From there you could test your hardware, Id check the hard drive but I would test the RAM unless you want to rule it out, but generally RAM causes crashes and blue screens not visual lag.

Also as mentioned above have you ensured to disable the nvidia stream service if it's in your services ?

Lastly since I didn't put steps for the virus I will here:
Start > My computer(rightclick) > Manage > Device Manager > View > Show hidden devices. From there locate "Non-Plug and play drivers" with a white page and orange gear in the centre for the icon.

In here check the very bottom of the list for one that says Hunter in it, or take a screenshot of the last few and post it here I can tell you if it's there or not. Otherwise do general virus and malware scans.

Back