GameStop exec: Battlefield 3 won't appear on Steam

Jos

Staff

EA and DICE's Battlefield 3 is perhaps the most anticipated shooter coming out this year and apparently it won't be available on one high-profile digital distribution service. Want to guess which one?

Last week EA posted (then pulled) a list of the digital retailers expected to carry the game and essentially confirmed what many already suspected: Steam is not making the cut. Battlefield 3 was listed for EA's own Origin service, as well as Direct2Drive and GamersGate, but things are not looking good for the EA-Steam relationship. Now a GameStop executive has chimed in saying that Battlefield 3 will be sold as a download through GameStop's Impulse, but not Steam.

There has been some speculation about a possible break-up between EA and Valve, after Crysis 2 was pulled from the Steam platform and appeared on EA's new storefront sporting a misleading "only on Origin" tag. Although many of us saw this as a power play to draw people into using their service, EA was quick to clarify that in fact the decision was not theirs, but rather the result of a business requirement from Valve to make DLC packs available through Steam.

gamestop battlefield steam valve origin ea battlefield 3

EA's David DeMartini, who now heads the Origin platform, sought to explain the publisher's position in a blog post earlier this month where he basically says that EA wants to take direct responsibility for providing patches, updates, additional content and other services to players and this conflicts with Steam's rules.

DeMartini added that they are working diligently to find a mutually agreeable solution but unless they can come to some sort of arrangement before October Steam users will have to buy Battlefield 3 elsewhere. It's a risky business decision given the huge loyal customer base of Valve's platform. Then again, EA knows such an anticipated game will give it some leverage when it comes to negotiating terms with Steam and shift the balance of power a little in its favor.

Permalink to story.

Which means EA was planning to release more DLC bullshit with BF3.

Good riddance, I say. At least now I'm sure I won't buy it.

I get all my games from Steam, poor decision by EA. Steam is just so far ahead of the competition.

"Steam users will have to buy Battlefield 3 elsewhere"

Um yeah more like not buy at all.

Steam should give EA the middle finger and put BFBC2 and all other shooters for sale for 99 cents on October 24th. Sure, it will cost them money, but it would cut into BF3 sales for sure.

For the unitiated (I don't game).
What does Steam do that makes it so unique versus getting games through another method?

Essentially Steam allows for up-to-date game patches, has the lowest prices in the industry during its sales seasons, and works seamlessly on the PC. As a result, we have accumulated large libraries of games on Steam and don't really want to have to login into 3-4 other platforms to play our games. This makes it more convenient to purchase all your games on Steam. If BF3 isn't available, it's not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to have it on Steam.

nice :D finally a nosteam game worth bying :D and a multiplayer game without steam :D ME LIKE ALOT!!!

@Guest: You are welcome and encouraged to compare the two services (you don't need our opinions to see who offers the better service). EA's ORIGIN offer's some very good XYZ, but Steam has been around so long that it offers some amazing A-Z. This whole issue is simply a matter of EA attempting to gain traction in it's own market (publishing). However, due to the fact that EA was reluctant to enter the digital distribution market in the first place they are behind the 8-ball and Steam was able to establish itself as the undisputed (and for the longest time: unchallenged) leader.

The basic rule in marketing is that the FIRST one to capture a unique position will typically remain the leader (barring some careless defensive marketing decisions). Odds are EA will never overtake Steam because Valve is VERY good at marketing, and EA's move to create ORIGIN may simply be a means to end. Perhaps a buyout from another competitor; perhaps a "different" service or direction; either way, it cannot compete with Steam directly. That much is clear, and it is a shame that they appear to trying to do this....

You read it here first.... ;)

Steam offers a consolidated platform and adds a community aspect to every game. (ie. find and play with friends who are currently playing the same game.) Other than that... not much.

I suspect everyone who is not buying BF3 will just be playing TF2.

Good luck finding a new release that wont have DLC. Unfortunately every game studio in the universe by now knows they can milk a old product 3 or 4 times with DLC without doing any extra work and thats just the way it will be now.

Also steam does have its fair share of issues and I think its perfectly fine for EA to want to retain control of their product and use their own updater and legit checkers rather than having to re-invent the wheel with steams methods.

Most gamers have a huge friend network via steam. My clan, GLD for BF2BC is on thru steam. Its easy to view what other games your friends are playing and find out if the game is worth the money. Steam has become a great gamer community and I have alot of money invested in steam games. I do not want to add another company like Origin. I would have to have both the steam client and origin clients up to view what games my friends are playing, want to buy or have just purchased. Thats a huge waste of computer resources. Its like running yahoo, hotmail, google voice and skype on one computer at the same time. REDUNDANT and waste of resources. Oh and BTW Im not paying $60 for BF3. that is crazy.

gwailo247 said:
Steam should give EA the middle finger and put BFBC2 and all other shooters for sale for 99 cents on October 24th. Sure, it will cost them money, but it would cut into BF3 sales for sure.

Liking this idea.

"EA wants to take direct responsibility for providing patches, updates, additional content and other services to players "

I'm still at a loss on this, I mean ALL publishes using steam still directly provide, patches/updates additional content [DLC?] etc via steam it's just delievered via Steam, what am I missing I wonder?

All I can think of is they would prefer / asked to offer these services outside of the Steam program, if this is the case I can see the issue but it's not been put across that way at all

xile said:
"EA wants to take direct responsibility for providing patches, updates, additional content and other services to players "

I'm still at a loss on this, I mean ALL publishes using steam still directly provide, patches/updates additional content [DLC?] etc via steam it's just delievered via Steam, what am I missing I wonder?

All I can think of is they would prefer / asked to offer these services outside of the Steam program, if this is the case I can see the issue but it's not been put across that way at all

EA doesn't want to pay Steam a cut of it's sales, and wants to keep 100% of the money itself. Oh, and they want to bombard you with ads for their games. Everything else is just BS to make themselves sound less greedy.

I'll pass. I don't need or want to add a new client to play games. And as gwailo247 pointed out, this is nothing more than a money-grab by EA anyway.

xile said:

Truth is, people want Steam because they have their game library with them, and community all in one. Not to mention, it is extremely easy to find, play and chat with Steam members. It is more of a social network for gamers, than a simple download manager. Games are all patched, updated, authenticated, and through Steamworks they include Steam Cloud protection, achievements, etc. A lot of PC gamers are so used to this, that the very thought of getting a game from another source, is like blasphemy to them.

I personally don't care. BF3 is going to be an excellent game, and I'll get it anyway (most of you will, too). I mostly use Amazon, as it frequently offers even bigger discounts than the very Steam. Of course, Steam user don't notice this because they stick to Steam, and most of the time don't even look elsewhere.

At end of the day though, this sucks for Steam users, and I agree this is a selfish, money-grabbing move.

If i buy the battlefield 3 box from the shop do i have to install Origin?

Guest said:
If i buy the battlefield 3 box from the shop do i have to install Origin?

No. Whether you get the physical or digital copy, you won't have to get Origin.

Thanks for the quick reply, i reckon inniatially steam wont have it for the hype rush, but then later once the buze dies down, they will give it to steam.

In general , the DLC is free for PC, I experienced that on BFBC2, and they gave it to us with Patch update.

I was hoping to buy it but if it's not on steam i'll just pirate it, I couldn't give 2 shits if it's not on steam.

signing into all these different accounts is becoming a right pain in the *rse. Steam in my opinion has always been for pc gamers. I only buy online now and that is from steam so i guess they `ve lost my custom

Its so pathetic how people would rather not play one of the most anticipated games of 2011 just because they don't want another client running, you people cant exit steam if it bothers you that much, your life isn't dependent on it....

Back