GameStop pulls PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Shawn Knight

Staff member

GameStop has reportedly stopped selling regular edition copies of the PC game Deus Ex: Human Revolution that include a voucher to play the game for free on cloud gaming service OnLive.

We reported on this story yesterday and at the time of publication, it was rumored that GameStop had caught wind of the included coupon codes and were opening the games to remove the vouchers. That rumor turned out to be true and as such, we updated our story accordingly.

GameStop posted the following statement on their Facebook page regarding the issue.

“GameStop’s policy is that we do not promote competitive services without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed a competitor’s coupon within the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons. While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist.”

Today we are hearing that GameStop has taken further action and is pulling all regular edition copies of the game so they can be recalled in accordance with Square Enix at a later date.

gamestop deus human revolution spawn labs square enix deus ex human revolution

Square Enix issued a statement on their website admitting that they didn’t make GameStop aware of the coupon code and that they respect the rights of GameStop to make the final decision on the content of products they sell and to adjust them as they see fit. Employees are being instructed to honor any returns with a receipt and unfulfilled reserves for the regular edition should be taken care of with inventory set aside in backrooms.

GameStop is currently developing their own cloud gaming division based on the acquisition of Spawn Labs and Impulse which was announced in April. GameStop realizes that brick and mortar stores as well as typical online shopping are not the future and if they want to remain competitive, a cloud gaming service is a must.

Permalink to story.

So Gamestop is worried about driving customers towards a competitor, so they stop selling the game.... thereby driving customers to their competitors....

And on top of that it is competition for a product that they haven't even released yet.

...yeah that makes a lot of sound business sense.

They still sell PC games? They only have my little pony and CSI on the racks here in Miami. At least last time I went in.

What the heck is this "Gamestop?"

Is it a place with fair deals on used games, excellent customer service with employees that are not biased towards one platform, and is always looking out for the consumer?

sarcasm said:
What the heck is this "Gamestop?"

Is it a place with fair deals on used games, excellent customer service with employees that are not biased towards one platform, and is always looking out for the consumer?

No, that's Best Buy.

Play N Trade for console games, and Steam for PC games. Their wallet is where it really needs to hurt for GameStop to change things up and server the customer better.

Panda218 said:
A smart gamer would have already purchased the game on steam

Valve > Gamestop
Actually, atleast here in Sweden the retail copy was 298SEK and the version on Steam was €44.99 with the 10% off deal running right now (which equals 409SEK currently).
I can even find it as low as 259:- from a very reputable source.
It's often this way here, same with Portal 2 etc, so I still buy retail...
There is no sense in the digital download being more expensive, was the same with DNF too...

I stopped thinking about Gamestop the second Amazon started guaranteeing release day deliveries.

Gamestop is a thing of the past, cloud gaming or no cloud gaming. Boneheaded moves like this will just hurt them.

At least they appear to be accepting returns on them since anything in my book removed shouldn't be considered new. Haven't bought a game at Gamestop since 2005, and with continued stunts like this I never will.

Per Hansson said:
Panda218 said:

Valve > Gamestop
Actually, atleast here in Sweden the retail copy was 298SEK and the version on Steam was €44.99 with the 10% off deal running right now (which equals 409SEK currently).
There is no sense in the digital download being more expensive, was the same with DNF too...

Sadly one of the downsides of digital distribution, publishers have way to much control and try to gouge us consumers to death. I feel really bad for those who live in countries that get charged almost twice as much due to poor currency exchange not in their favor. This is one of the biggest reasons retail needs to stay around.

Relic said:
At least they appear to be accepting returns on them since anything in my book removed shouldn't be considered new. Haven't bought a game at Gamestop since 2005, and with continued stunts like this I never will.

Per Hansson said:
Panda218 said:

Valve > Gamestop
Actually, atleast here in Sweden the retail copy was 298SEK and the version on Steam was ?44.99 with the 10% off deal running right now (which equals 409SEK currently).

Sadly one of the downsides of digital distribution, publishers have way to much control and try to gouge us consumers to death. I feel really bad for those who live in countries that get charged almost twice as much due to poor currency exchange not in their favor. This is one of the biggest reasons retail needs to stay around.

Some titles I still prefer to own physically, this being one of them.... I don't ever want to see a fully digital download industry.

The strangest thing is that the Swedish Krona has a really good standing against the US Dollar, meaning if I exchange my money for Dollars and go to the US most things I buy will be ALLOT less expensive then here.
It's the same with the Euro vs the US Dollar, it has a much higher standing, yet on Steam they just put the games up for the same price in Euros and Dollars, that's the simple reason why it's so much cheaper to buy retail here in Sweden.
Had the Steam store offered me prices in US Dollars instead of Euros the price would be competive with the retail market... ($44.99 = 283:- SEK)

Back