TechSpot

GameStop pulls PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution

By Shawn Knight
Aug 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. GameStop has reportedly stopped selling regular edition copies of the PC game Deus Ex: Human Revolution that include a voucher to play the game for free on cloud gaming service…

Read the whole story
  2. pgbsamurai

pgbsamurai TS Rookie Posts: 27

So Gamestop is worried about driving customers towards a competitor, so they stop selling the game.... thereby driving customers to their competitors....

And on top of that it is competition for a product that they haven't even released yet.

...yeah that makes a lot of sound business sense.
  3. Panda218

Panda218 TS Rookie Posts: 96   +13

A smart gamer would have already purchased the game on steam

Valve > Gamestop
  4. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

They still sell PC games? They only have my little pony and CSI on the racks here in Miami. At least last time I went in.
  5. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Enthusiast Posts: 343   +20

What the heck is this "Gamestop?"

Is it a place with fair deals on used games, excellent customer service with employees that are not biased towards one platform, and is always looking out for the consumer?
  6. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

No, that's Best Buy.
  7. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 565   +81

LMAO best buy and excellent customer service!

Did hell freeze over last night?
  8. example1013

example1013 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

Lol best buy and fair used prices. I needed a laugh today.
  9. Muggs

Muggs TS Rookie Posts: 56

Does anyone actually shop at Gamestop?
  10. Play N Trade for console games, and Steam for PC games. Their wallet is where it really needs to hurt for GameStop to change things up and server the customer better.
  11. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

Actually, atleast here in Sweden the retail copy was 298SEK and the version on Steam was €44.99 with the 10% off deal running right now (which equals 409SEK currently).
    I can even find it as low as 259:- from a very reputable source.
    It's often this way here, same with Portal 2 etc, so I still buy retail...
    There is no sense in the digital download being more expensive, was the same with DNF too...

12. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Just a publicity stunt I say.
  13. Zilpha

Zilpha TS Enthusiast Posts: 349

I stopped thinking about Gamestop the second Amazon started guaranteeing release day deliveries.

Gamestop is a thing of the past, cloud gaming or no cloud gaming. Boneheaded moves like this will just hurt them.
  14. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

At least they appear to be accepting returns on them since anything in my book removed shouldn't be considered new. Haven't bought a game at Gamestop since 2005, and with continued stunts like this I never will.

Sadly one of the downsides of digital distribution, publishers have way to much control and try to gouge us consumers to death. I feel really bad for those who live in countries that get charged almost twice as much due to poor currency exchange not in their favor. This is one of the biggest reasons retail needs to stay around.
  15. SmOkM

SmOkM TS Member

Some titles I still prefer to own physically, this being one of them.... I don't ever want to see a fully digital download industry.
  16. Gamestop offering $50 gift card for the trouble now
  17. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

The strangest thing is that the Swedish Krona has a really good standing against the US Dollar, meaning if I exchange my money for Dollars and go to the US most things I buy will be ALLOT less expensive then here.
    It's the same with the Euro vs the US Dollar, it has a much higher standing, yet on Steam they just put the games up for the same price in Euros and Dollars, that's the simple reason why it's so much cheaper to buy retail here in Sweden.
    Had the Steam store offered me prices in US Dollars instead of Euros the price would be competive with the retail market... ($44.99 = 283:- SEK)
  18. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

I usually buy retail copies of games and I would never accept a retail box whose seal has been tampered it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.