TechSpot

Gaming Computer Build Check

By Prince Jimmy
May 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hey, I am wanting to make my first gaming computer and despite all my research and back checking, I still feel like something may be wrong, not to mention if possible I would like to save a bit more money since I am just above my budget of about $500. Below is a link to my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/prince/saved/4Fbc

I am hoping to play mainly games like WoW, Arche Age, and mmos like that. Also I may occasionally play something more demanding like Skyrim or something. Any tips, and if possible money saves, let me know.
    Thank You!!

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Probably better to get rid of the GPU and just go with an AMD APU. Like A10-5800K

3. Prince Jimmy

Prince Jimmy TS Rookie Topic Starter

If I get a GPU I can continue to upgrade my graphics though. If I do get an APU is it possible for me to change it out later for an improved APU or even a GPU?

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,378   +2,766

An APU has internal graphics that is comparable to an average dedicated card. The internal graphics will be disabled when inserting a dedicated card. Your best bet would be to decide where you want to be with graphics and ask if an APU is suitable. If not then you could make a choice to get dedicated. Choosing an APU over a standard CPU will not get in your way for choosing a dedicated card.

It is the same way with Intel, most of their CPU's have integrated that is disabled when using a dedicated graphics solution. In fact I'm running a i7-2600K that has integrated graphics on a motherboard that does not support graphics. Since the motherboard doesn't support graphics the internal graphics cannot be accessed and a dedicated graphics card is required.

Jad Chaar and Prince Jimmy like this.
  5. Prince Jimmy

Prince Jimmy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks a bunch. I think I am going to stick with dedicated so I can easily upgrade if needed.

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,378   +2,766

I was trying to explain there is no difference. With APU all you have to do is add a dedicated graphics card. The integrated will be automatically disabled. There is nothing you need to do to disable the integrated graphics. It is just as easy as taking a card out and putting in a new card. Actually it is easier, because you don't have the old card to deal with.

7. St1ckM4n

The APU I said above will probably give you better performance than the dedicated card you picked. use it for a year or more, and take the money you saved and save more. Then you can purchase a better card and slot it in.

8. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,187   +587

That GPU is very low end and lower than most high end APU's are now just using the integrated. I would not buy that GPU because you can put the money into a better area and still upgrade the GPU later (Like the others stated above).

9. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

10. The Beev

The Beev TS Rookie

I would also recommend a 250Gb SSD the 1 tera is ok for storage but the SSD will speed it up x3

11. St1ckM4n

He has a $500 budget. There's no room for a 60GB SSD let alone 250GB.