Gaming PC monitor, IPS or 120hz?

tyler14

My setup is
gtx670
intel i7-3770
8gb ddr memory
windows 7

I mostly play fps but will play other types of games some, would like play on high settings too

which of these would be better for gaming? Asus 239hp vs dell u2412m? the asus is 180 on amazon and the dell is 250

120HZ: Amazing in FPS games. Only 'works' if you give it more than 60fps from your GPU, which with a GTX670 you'll be pushing it in the latest games..

Games look really fluid on 120Hz and are more responsive to mouse movement. They are also only 24inch 1920x1080 resolution.

IPS: They look really pretty, have amazing colors, have wide viewing angles. Usually are limited to 60Hz (Yamakasi Catleap OC ones go higher), have a lot wider variety of recolutions and sizes.

I think I'd suggest you find a way to compare them irl, there is quite some difference between them. They are both very high quality so I suggest you see which you prefer. I personally prefer the IPS screens, especially because of the brilliant color display.

120HZ: Amazing in FPS games. Only 'works' if you give it more than 60fps from your GPU, which with a GTX670 you'll be pushing it in the latest games..

Games look really fluid on 120Hz and are more responsive to mouse movement. They are also only 24inch 1920x1080 resolution.

IPS: They look really pretty, have amazing colors, have wide viewing angles. Usually are limited to 60Hz (Yamakasi Catleap OC ones go higher), have a lot wider variety of recolutions and sizes.

No you do not need to run 120 fps to notice the difference on 120hz lcds. I have one and can vouch for this.

The biggest issue with the 130hz category in terms of gaming is that its still pretty new (Yes TV's have been out awhile, but keeping 120 stable is harder said than done). With a 120hz monitor even locked at 60 FPS, you will notice a little difference, but it would not be much, the higher the FPS you keep stable, the better of course. With your build, you could at lower quality setting probably keep the 120, but not on ultra with a 670.

So if you want the monitor to be prepared for the future, it could be nice, but I think you should try just a nice 60hz monitor maybe a bigger one instead as that might be more enjoyable.

Running 60fps on a 120Hz monitor is the same as running a 60Hz monitor maxed. 1fps won't do much difference, so you may be able to see a difference at 80+...

..I highly doubt the human eye can see a 1fps difference ... 5-10 and higher increments, sure. But 1 is just too minuscule.

Back