TechSpot

Gaming PC need an overhaul

By Condor
Oct 2, 2007
  1. hey guys

I need a new CPU and MOBO, I think my one cord is not up to the task any more :<

The important thing is that I wanted the new CPU and mobo to be compatible with my current ram (CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit) - I also brought other similar one, so i should have 2 gig when i do my next upgrade :>

Heres my video card if anyone want to know: POWERCOLOR 1900XT512OEM Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

The reason I wanted to upgrade my PC is due to my low FPS when playing Clive Barker's Jericho Demo. When I active Frap the game FPS drop from 65 FPS to 15, so I want a PC that let me play that game at 40+ FPS when Frap is activated.

Appreciate in advance

2. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

That is almost impossible unless you work for NASA or something :haha:

I think your RAM is most likely the problem since CPU and the Mobo almost have nothing to do with your lag ( because FRAPs doesn't take that much CPU usage, it's the real-time recording that does )

my computer ( befor I sold, it's the one when you click "See Computer Specs thing" ) has 2gigs of RAM and before when I only had 1 my FPS would be really low during recordings, when I upgraded to 2gigs it would go from 20fps to about 45fps

Also your RAM is hold because it's DDR1 184-pin PC3200 ( about 2-3 years old? ) so maybe upgrading to DDR2 800 would do the trick as well lol

3. Condor

Condor TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 388

hey sounds good timepardox!

will the DDR2 800 compatible with my current mobo? xD
    if so any recommendation ^^

thz m8

4. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

If you link me your mobo on newegg or something then i'll check, Most mobos these days are pretty cheap ( from $50-120 ) that can run with DDR2 RAM, if your mobo probably can't since the RAM slots are 184-pin and newer RAM has like 240-pin or something, so i'll look up some good RAM + Mobo for a cheap price!! :D

The only problem you might have is that since your mobo is old (sortof), you might have to upgrade the CPU aswell :(

If your Mobo now supports AM2 CPU slot then it'll be all good though :D

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131014

CPU ( If Needed ): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103759

This list isn't the best or cheapest you could find, but it's good enough :p

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,916   +345

It's unlikely. If you have 184 pin DDR RAM now, you won't be able to fit 240 pin DDR2 RAM. It's likely your old motherboard is a socket 939 AMD CPU motherboard.

6. Condor

thx guys appreciate it xD

I'll book mark this page for my next upgrade, those are good and affordable deal! i like it

PS. how do i add my system spec feature like you guys have?

the thing just right below our location and member since:

example:

System specs

: D

7. mailpup

Go to edit your user profile. There is a new box to check to allow everyone to see your system specs.

8. Condor

nice, i would kiss u :lo

9. mailpup

Only if you are a girl. :)

10. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,429   +27

11. Condor

cool , thx Rage_3K xD

Topic Status: