Gaming rig, case mobo, CPU questions, educate a newb please

First of all let me apologize, I'm new to internet forums and new to PC building. That being said, I have recently decided to build myself a computer that I can use to comfortably play video games, and this has required me working very hard to understand all the different components and what my best options are. I was hoping to get some input and I could definitely use some suggestions for parts that I can know are 100% compatible with each other.

As I'm such a newbie, I know that I need a lot of questions answered that I don't even know to ask, so maybe I can start with posting a system build I've cooked up, and asking some specific questions about certain choices, such as which CPU would you all recommend. I hope this is a good way to go. Here's what I've got, keeping in mind I have in no way become knowledgeable enough to go out and start buying these parts.

Also, I'm interested in overclocking, so in terms of the case and the PSU I would like to leave some overhead, as well as buying a CPU and GPU that could let me do this at a later time. Sorry this will be a lot of questions, any help is greatly appreciated!

GPU
GTX 460 in SLI mode is the one thing I'm fairly set on. Two of these cards seem to be a good option. Question: Does "superclocked" mean it is already OC'd for me?

EVGA 01G-P3-1373-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU
If I want performance but will not plan on overclocking just yet, how should I decide between these processors?

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
vs.
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
vs.
Any other suggestions?

Also, how can I know whether the Phenom II is better? It has a higher clock speed and more cores? So to me it definitely looks like a better choice. And yet the same price for both makes me think I don't know enough to see what's missing with the Phenom. Why is it not as good as the i7? And, doesn't the "LGA 1366" vs. "Socket AM3" affect what Mobo and RAM I get?

Case
Thermaltake Armor A90 Black Steel / Plastic Gaming ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case VL98521W2U w/ 850W W0319RU Modular Power Supply

Will this case and power supply be enough? I've struggled with understanding how I can know whether the case will have enough room for SLI GTX 460's and the CPU, plus maybe aftermarket coolers in the future. Or will this case be cool enough, without new fans or maybe with new fans, whichever is best recommended? Here below is another options I've looked at, but only because it seems to have a lot of fans and a full tower should hold my 2 GTX's right?

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

So after I have a CPU, GPU, and a case, I should probably have already decided on a motherboard right? But I'm not sure how. Please advise. What order should I decide the parts? Should I wait to pick a case until the end? Also, I assume that I can decide on RAM last, since it is affected by the CPU and mobo but it doesn't determine any other choices? The thing that most concerns me is picking out a motherboard that works with the SLI graphics cards and the CPU I pick, but not getting a case that will let it all fit and run smoothly. How do people know these things without buying first?

I'm sure most of these questions might be very elementary, and I'm sure I have a lot more, but this seems like a start. Thanks for any input

Hi disczeiger,
The 1055T and the 1095T are the same CPU, just clocked differently with the exception being that it has an unlocked multiplier. If you go that route, you can save yourself $100.00 and OC it yourself. I run my 1055T @ 4.17Ghz (the 1095T) OC's to the same frequency and you can see in this review is only second to the 980X (Intels 6 core) at stock speed. As far as a gaming rig, you will not notice much of a gaming performance difference except with BC2 which will use as many cores as you have at your disposal. However hopefully this will be the trend in the near future.
Here are some benchmarks of those and other CPU's.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-crosshair-iv-formula-review/1

GPU
GTX 460 in SLI mode is the one thing I'm fairly set on. Two of these cards seem to be a good option. Question: Does "superclocked" mean it is already OC'd for me?

It is OC'ed yes, however they are usually rather mild OC's from the factory, and you can do your own OC'ing as well. I would not pay for OC'ing and just OC them yourself (my 2 cents worth).

First you need to decide if you are going with AMD or Intel. Then look for a MB that has the features and Chipset you want and supports the CPU you choose. IMO Asus and Gigabyte are the best options. Great build quality and as you expressed an interest in OC'ing, they are the best OC'ing boards out there. I recommend a P55 (Intel) or a FX 890/850 (AMD) for chipsets.

possible build

Thanks for the response red, it was very helpful, even though I have kinda opted away from some of your suggestions, or at least I think I have, I'm not so sure.

OK so after some more research and deliberation, I have a build that is close to my budget that I would like some opinions and advice on. Here are the components I have chosen.

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

2x EVGA 01G-P3-1373-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ...

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8Dv

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thermaltake Armor A90 Black Steel / Plastic Gaming ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case VL98521W2U w/ 850W W0319RU Modular Power Supply

What do you all think about this? Would you choose that RAM kit? Is everything at least compatible? Many of you on here are incredibly smart. Is this what you would do?

I have decided not to overclock just yet, but am considering it for the future, and as such I will likely not buy the superclocked GTX 460's, thanks red1776 for the advice, but they're here for now.

Is that tower going to have good enough airflow to keep everything cool as is? Will it give me what I need later if I decide to start overclocking? Will I have room to replace fans and add aftermarket coolers? I'm really not sure how to determine this? So basically, will it be cool and spacious enough with everything as is, and will I be able to overclock down the road? Should I get a bigger case?

Also, right now I only have the budget to buy a single hard drive, but if i want to put several in a RAID configuration later, will the Mobo I have chosen work for that? I know how to make some of these decisions, but I am sure I am capable of overlooking stuff.

Lastly, will current setup and possible overclock down the road, is the PSU that is bundled with the case any good or should I get a new one? If so, please advise.

Thanks so much for the help everyone

Thanks for the response red, it was very helpful, even though I have kinda opted away from some of your suggestions, or at least I think I have, I'm not so sure.

Hey, I'm not trying to talk you into anything, just want you to know the options and what you are paying for. Hence the comment "if you go that route" :) One more thing, that PSU that comes with the case does not match the quality of the rest of your build. These would be much better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371009

for the same money, superior airflow, and construction, this case is much better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129079

I didn't feel that way red, and even if I did feel pushed, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. There's so much that I don't know, and I posted here so people could prod me in any direction they felt was good. For example, my train of thought when reading your post.

"Hmm. The PSU isn't that good. Well that makes sense since it's bundled and I didn't pick it individually. I guess I shouldn't try to get by without researching PSU's and finding a good one. I'm glad I asked and really glad red mentioned it to me."

So I'll go look into power supplies. I can buy this case without it (if this case turns out to be the one). I'm still hoping to eventually get lots on input on the case choice, but thanks for pointing that out. I'd hate to cripple my build with a poorly planned PSU.

Back