TechSpot

Gartner: PC shipments decline as market shifts to personal tablets, shared PCs

By Jos
Jan 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. IDC reported similar findings on Friday, and now Gartner has chimed in with its own figures suggesting the PC industry continues to decline in the face of smaller, cheaper, and more portable computing devices. The research firm says worldwide PC...

Read more
  2. Say all you like. PCs will always be a necessity, there will never be a "post pc world". Do I believe tablets are a phase no, I think they are a valuable tool & toy, but the world will always need PCs.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,347   +397

The figure I look at is not the 4.9% decline, but the 90.3 millions shipped. That is a LOT of PC's shipped (especially for a single quarter). You're going to have ebb and flows as new technology comes around, people hang on to older PC's for longer, etc that's going to influence sales figures. But when you have 360 million PC's shipped in a single year - it makes all the "PC is dying" articles completely laughable.
    Wendig0 and Littleczr like this.
  4. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Enthusiast Posts: 245   +23

Not to mention 32 billion in revenue that PC manufacturers raked in last year versus 9 billion or so-my numbers may be off-for smartphones.

Yeah, PCs are dying all right (insert sarcasm).

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.