Gartner: PC shipments to grow 2.8% in 2009, revenue down 11%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

According to a report released by Gartner today, worldwide PC shipments will grow 2.8% this year -- though, revenue will fall 11%. The firm's preliminary fourth-quarter forecast indicates that global PC shipments will total 298.9 million units in 2009, and may reach 336.6 million units in 2010, a 12.6% increase from this year.

This news comes after less optimistic research in September, which claimed there would be a 2% decline in shipments for 2009. Gartner said the growth is due to higher-than-anticipated sales in the third quarter, but despite that boost, the market value is still expected to decline. The outfit predicts that the market value of global PC shipments will total $217 billion in 2009, 10.7% less than 2008. That figure may increase by 2.6% to $222.9 billion in 2010.

Gartner noted that Windows 7 would only have a "limited impact" on holiday sales, as few people will buy a new computer solely for Microsoft's new operating system.

Permalink to story.

Mmm from this all we can expect is more investment from developing companies to bring more and better hardware.

My daily tasks include coding, working on data bases and things of the like. Can I do that on a 500Mhz? Indeed I could, would it take forever to code on a 500Mhz? Indeed it would.

Main reason why we see more and more powerful hardware is 1. Competiton from hardware manufactures.. 2. So you can play you FPS on the most powerful HW. To this day I'm still running my 8yr old Gigabyte with a AMD Athlon 1.7Ghz cpu..with 512MB of ram and don't need powerful hardware to do my regular .tasks Whether its browsing the Internet, Email, DVD burning,printing..etc

Ok, so it would be a problem of definitions of what are regular tasks, no one can encapsulate every user into just one type of user, which doesn't exist.

Actually Gartner is wrong! Nobody will by a PC for a new OS. Consumers just think that with a new and better better PC there should also be a new and better OS. The generally positive reviews of win7 will help those who haven't decided yet whether they should buy a new PC or not to make up their minds (and buy one).

well, the definition of "daily tasks" itself has evolved pretty much over the years, along with the softwares we utilize to accomplish them, thus the need for better hardwares :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back