TechSpot

Gates Foundation gives $20 million to education technology

By Emil
Oct 12, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is launching a $20 million grant designed to get entrepreneurs to develop new technologies that leverage online learning and interactivity. In other words, the goal is to get them interested in tackling the issues surrounding America's struggling education system. While the foundation will provide funds for the project, the nonprofit organization EDUCAUSE will run the program. Organizations also collaborating on the effort include the League f...

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,369   +405

Like him or not, Mr. Bill is doing a LOT of good things with his money.

3. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TS Maniac Posts: 388

Indeed. I think he's taking the right approach with the saying "Give a man a fish and he'd be fed for a day. Teach him how to fish and he'd be fed for life".

In that sense pushing the people to think instead of sitting down and doing nothing. Better than empty donations if you ask me.

4. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Well good thing like Bill, Steve jobs is givi- Oh wait never mind.

5. brucethetech

brucethetech TS Enthusiast Posts: 301

lol. unless you meant giving away free iPhone cases to fix the defective antenna

6. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

Yeah, Jobs is a philanthropist, that's the ticket!

7. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Guru Posts: 593   +47

Yes, a philanthropist to already paying customers! What a guy!

8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,967   +955

Yeah, he's the Crown Princess of "what a guys"!

9. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd TS Rookie Posts: 555

He definitely has the money and the name to make things happen. Too bad his replacement comes off cold, must be the name "Steve"

10. This is an amazing initiative! Hopefully students and teachers use whatever new technologies emerge. One great one that I have been using for my group projects is http://enterthegroup.com

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.