TechSpot

Gates, Zuckerberg and others come together in coding PSA

By Shawn Knight
Feb 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A number of high-profile members of the technology industry have teamed up with celebrities to back a new initiative designed to get kids interested in programming. The nonprofit foundation Code.org wants to get more schools involved in teaching programming classes...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,593

And exactly which language should be the main course of study for such an effort?

Should it be something simple and easy to understand or something complex to get the job done right the first time?

3. ArthurZ

ArthurZ TS Rookie Posts: 79

I salute to both living legends!

4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,600   +629

This will bring all new meaning to the term "script kiddies". (Sorry, it had to be said.)

Timonius and BlueDrake like this.
  5. Cheese Cake

Cheese Cake TS Rookie

My high school has a programming class for people who wants to learn. I learned a bit of coding while I was in the class, it was fun at the same time.

6. cliffordcooley

Son where in the world did you learn to hack the Pentagon?

At school dad, everybody is doing it!!!

Khanonate likes this.
  7. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +29

Python.

8. cliffordcooley

Well, regardless of what language is taught, it's a good thing for students to have a better understanding of programming, before they decide on the possibilities of their future. In my opinion this is more useful than sports or band.

H3llion likes this.
  9. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +108

It's scary to think how far behind kids who don't have easy access to a computer will fall. Getting coding classes in schools is definitely something I can get behind.

But I'm cool with not knowing how to code for now. I heard Lil' Wayne smashed Bosh's wife while he was out coding.

10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

There?s no doubt that computers and technology are the future

I heard that when I was a little boy and that was decades ago. What's changed?

11. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,690   +337

I'm surprised at how low the numbers are, a bit interested in to see what schools they counted (were elementary schools included?) but I'm too lazy to look it up. The reason I'm surprised is because I graduated HS in 1998. In 7th grade I had a computer class where we wrote some BASIC. Then I moved schools a couple times and ended up at a very rural high school. I had a class there in 1996 or 1997 on programming in Pascal. So it seems odd that only 10% of schools teach some coding when I graduated with 46 or so people, 15 years ago, and had access to a programming class. To put that time in perspective, Windows 98 hadn't came out yet, and Windows 95 was new enough most computers at our school didn't have it.

12. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Python.

13. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 670   +96

My daughter is being taught programming using Python.

14. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

Such an elegant language. Truly extraterrestrials will discover us and consider python as a classic.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.