Gateway Audio Not Working after Clean XP Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the original post I found when looking for help because of same problem. For some reason Gateway Recovery Disk does not include all necessary drivers. I replaced hard drive on my MX6650 and found multiple devices not working. Downloads on Gateway site solved all but one - There was no solution for the fact that the audio device was not working and Device Mgr would not install the Conexant driver provided at Gateway site...said it was the wrong driver for the device.

Original Post with same issue:
lawtyger01-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Last night I did a clean reinstalled of XP Home Edition on my Gateway MX6030 Notebook (with Service Pack 2). I had several driver issues and received great assistance in another thread to fix them.

However, I am having a problem with sound. There is no sound icon in the task tray and when I got to Control Panel "Sounds and Audio Device Properties" is says "No Audio Device."

DECKHOPPER's SIMPLE EASY AND EFFECTIVE SOLUTION WORKED LIKE A CHARM:
I read all of the responses and decided to try the easiest one from Deckhopper. Worked like a charm! Here is the simple solution

deckhopper03-28-2008, 02:51 PM
I reinstalled a friend's Gateway laptop (MX6025) with WinXP and got the same issue with the audio and PC modem devices (yellow exclamation in device mgr). I tried Gateway's driver downloads only to receive the same failure or *nothing* happening when I run the installer. Here is the fix that worked for me (I'm sure it will work for other Gateways also because I was able to repeat the same fix on another Gateway laptop):

NoShoreBall advice: Right Click the audio device in Device Mgr and uninstall it before you follow these steps:

For the Gateway Audio Yellow Exclamation Mark issue (WinXP):
1. Control Panel, add hardware, next
2. "Yes, i've already connected the hardware", next
3. Scroll to the bottom of the list, choose "Add a new hardware device", next
4. "Install the hardware from a list", next
5. Choose "Sound, video and game controllers", next
6. Choose Intel, and then the Intel AC'97 Audio Controller (It is the last one on the list)
Yes, Gateway says it's a Conexant audio device... but hey, this worked for me, and Gateway sux. This same fix also worked on another Gateway laptop (diff model) with the same problem.n:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back