Gateway GT5449E problem, help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway GT5449E desktop computer that I need some help with. For about 2 or 3 weeks, the computer would wake up from standby after only being in standby for about 5 seconds or so. I didn't think anything about it, so I just used Hibernate, which worked fine.

Now, just a few days ago the computer wont power on at all. When I open the side of the computer, I see one green led on the mobo that when the computer is plugged in is on, when I umplug the computer, the light goes out after all the capacitors discharge.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem with the computer would be? Please help, I have a laptop to get by with, but there is a lot of stuff on the desktop that I need for work.

Even though you see a green light on the motherboard, the power supply could be bad... Have the power supply replaced, and see if this brings the PC back to life

I put a jumper in the main connector, grounding the green wire in the connector. I get all the 5v and 12v outputs on the power supply. Also, when I short the green wire out, the fan comes on, so I am pretty sure the power supply is good.

if the power supply is good, its definetly the motherboard.

first check if everything is plugged in correctly, all wires fully connected.

on the hardrive, motherboard, etc.

Computers can summarily wake from standby because they're hot, or at least so says PC world. So loose CPU heatsink?

Just because you have 5 volts, and 12 volts, doesn't mean you have 3.3 volts from the PSU, and I believe that's what's regulated down to power the CPU.

Assuming you get the startup issue fixed. You can also disable wake from keyboard or mouse, (although generally not in OEM prebuilt computer BIOS). This helps greatly with the wake up problem, especially when the K & M are wireless devices.

I've seen machines power up the fans, yet not boot because one segment of the PSU was out. It would pay to beg, borrow, or steal a known good PSU, and at least give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back